Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Setting up a small network w/internet&crossover

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11

    Setting up a small network w/internet&crossover

    Hi I have a small network now (or trying to establish connection) and having some troubles.

    (using knoppix 3.8.1CeBIT and 3.6)

    I have a desktop pc with 2 eth devices:
    -> /dev/eth0 -> going to my laptop which is not connected to the internet
    -> /dev/eth1 -> the connection to the internet.

    When I startup cleanly from knoppix CD (3.8.1 on my desktop) I can surf the internet but not connect trough SSH to my laptop (crossover) so I connected the two computers crossover assigning the laptop 192.168.0.3, my desktop 192.168.0.2 starting SSH service fyping fish://192.168

    and now no internet anymore. I tried to set up DHCP again for my eth1 but that doesn't work anymore. And I think that's really weird. eth1 is going to the internet, I change eth0 and bang, no internet anymore from eth1 ???????


    Also I want to share my internet connection on the laptop. How should I do that.

    Can anybody explain me what I should fill in in the knoppix wizard for eth devices, or is there more work to be done


    Wannes Smet

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Setting up a small network w/internet&crossover

    Quote Originally Posted by wannessmet
    Hi I have a small network now...
    I suggest that all of your problems would be resolved by adding a small inexpensive home DSL/cable router and letting it set up each system by DHCP rather than trying to use connection sharing, nultiple NICs and crossover cables.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11

    Well

    I do not have enough cables for that.

    But can anybody tell me how I should do this, an not how you suggest to do it the other way. because this is how I want to do it. It has be possible.

    But thanks anyway

    Wannes

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 12:38 PM
  2. crossover network
    By giacomix in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 05:32 PM
  3. crossover network
    By giacomix in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 02:51 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 01:04 PM
  5. Knoppix in a small home network
    By YannLeMerle in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS picture

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS

$179.85



ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair picture

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair

$365.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$200.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99