-
External USB Linksys Wireless-B Network adapter question
I am 'totally' new to Linux, hence why I am posting this question in this forum. So here's hoping for a successful trip down the open source route with this being my very first post about an issue.
I have read the book about the basics, I am IT literate anyway, but saying that no nothing at all about any form of Linux / Unix, so do not know the command lines to use, or even how to get to the command line interface (I am happy with DOS command line however).
I want to prove to myself - and others - that I can live without the total dependancy on Windows, so downloaded what I thought was the best Linux to start with - Knoppix. So, here's my first problem...
I am using wireless to connect to the Internet via a Linksys WAG54G and external USB Linksys network adapter. Now the basic book says that Knoppix is built around Ethernet as the main LAN connection, so is difficult to get working with external USB devices. However, I know you experienced *nix users will get me round this, but please explain for the first time how to do this in really easy baby like steps - especially if I need to use the *nix command line - it would be useful to understand the commands you suggest I execute.
Once you have helped me to solve this, I won't feel quite so helpless when faced with Linux for the first time knowing that people like you are out there to explaing things clearly until I 'click' into action under my own steam.
Similar Threads
-
By minghai in forum Networking
Replies: 17
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 05:17 AM
-
By minghai in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
-
By tsugua in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 04:18 AM
-
By Tankerkevo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM
-
By jeff_20_ in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$50.99

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00