-
X Won't Start After Install
I have installed Knoppix on computers before, and never had a problem. Now, I have this older computer I want to give away to a needy family and have Knoppix running on it, but the install is giving me trouble. The install completes, but I can't get it to boot into X, and once I log in at the text login prompt and type "startx" it blinks, coughs and then gives up with no X. I can't see anything in the messages that indicates the problem, but I'm not very good with this stuff.
The computer is a Gateway, 350Mhz Pentium II with 128MB RAM and a 10GB HDD. I have a 500+MB swap partition configured. Knoppix 3.8.1 and 3.7 both work beautifully when run from CD on this computer. I'm installing with the "Beginner" option of the knoppix-installer script, for a multi-user env. with hardware detection.
Where do I start?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sound like it video card is not properly detected or monitor is set to use a refresh rate higher than it can support.
In order for us to help you generate a proper GUI config file, you will need to identify the video card & monitor. To get the video card info, boot off of knoppix CD and do a: lspci -v
Copy & paste the contents here.
Reboot & next from the HD installed system:
Copy the existsing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to a back up location.
Code:
cd /etc/X11/
cp -p XF86Config-4 /usr/src
Then try to run the command xf86config. It is a text based question & answer script designed to generate a new config file. It will ask you about the keyboard, mouse, monitor model & refresh rates, video card model/resolution/color depth.
Either myself or someone else will be able to help you along.
I hope this helps.
James
Similar Threads
-
By pinoc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-05-2007, 11:56 AM
-
By mkjtravel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:02 AM
-
By RNK in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:04 PM
-
By jdoe in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-20-2004, 10:34 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-30-2003, 02:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50