Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: The" knoppix wheelmouse" cheatcode has no effect

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    2

    The" knoppix wheelmouse" cheatcode has no effect

    Hello!

    If anybody can help me please tell me what can I do to make the scroll wheel of the mouse to work.
    Shoud I be able to scroll with the well from the Mozilla Browser ?
    I haven't used Linux before

    I have a Genius NetScroll+ serial mouse and even though I type knoppix wheelmouse when I boot from the knoppix CD (I didn't install it on the HDD) the wheel still has no efect in any programs

    Thank you
    Adrian

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84
    I don't know how to fix your problem. But since you are new to Linux I can give you a clue. Use a text editor to look at the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. This is the file for graphics and input devices. In it you will find a section for serial mouse. Mine looks like this:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Serial Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
    Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    EndSection

    Hope you get it to work

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20

    Re: The" knoppix wheelmouse" cheatcode has no effe

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
    Hello!

    If anybody can help me please tell me what can I do to make the scroll wheel of the mouse to work.
    Shoud I be able to scroll with the well from the Mozilla Browser ?
    I haven't used Linux before

    I have a Genius NetScroll+ serial mouse and even though I type knoppix wheelmouse when I boot from the knoppix CD (I didn't install it on the HDD) the wheel still has no efect in any programs

    Thank you
    Adrian
    Which version of Knoppix are you running?

    I was hacking around in the mkxf86config scripts for other reasons. (Actually, I copied the "wheel" entry and added "glidepoint" for my laptop's touchpad...), and it looks like a few of the "cheatcodes" have changed slightly in 3.2. For example, in 3.2, "wheelmouse" won't do anything at all, but "wheel" will for PS/2 mice by changing "PS/2" to "IMPS/2". USB mice don't need any cheatcodes for wheel support, which is why I probably never noticed a problem. (USB mice default to the IMPS/2 protocol to begin with.)

    I've never seen a serial wheel mouse, if such a beast exists, "wheel" in its current incarnation won't do anything.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    2
    I do have a serial wheelmouse, and it works well under Windows 98 without any drivers installed be the user (me).
    I have Knoppix 3.2 CD (as seen in the index.html file on the CD).

    The "Serial Mouse" "InputDevice" section in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    is exactly as the one showed by MattT.

    On Windows 95 the scrool wheel does not work also, even with the NetScroll+ drivers for Win95 installed.

    Since I cannot install a driver with the Knoppix CD (I don't know how to install a driver on Linux anyway) I gived it up, I don't think there is a solution (other then a HDD instalation of Linux).

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
    I do have a serial wheelmouse, and it works well under Windows 98 without any drivers installed be the user (me).
    I have Knoppix 3.2 CD (as seen in the index.html file on the CD).

    The "Serial Mouse" "InputDevice" section in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    is exactly as the one showed by MattT.

    On Windows 95 the scrool wheel does not work also, even with the NetScroll+ drivers for Win95 installed.

    Since I cannot install a driver with the Knoppix CD (I don't know how to install a driver on Linux anyway) I gived it up, I don't think there is a solution (other then a HDD instalation of Linux).
    What you might want to try, it's a bit of a convoluted approach:

    Boot into textmode. (Use your usual cheatcodes, and add the "2" cheatcode)

    emacs /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    Change the "Protocol" entry. IMPS/2 is what is used for PS/2 wheel mice, I don't know what the protocol is for serial wheel mice - I'm 90% positive that if the version of X that comes on the Knoppix CD doesn't support the wheel with your mouse, no version of Linux will. XFree has a reasonably complete mouse driver set built in.

    Then either try "startx" or "init 5"

    If worst comes to worst, get a PS/2 or USB wheelmouse... That will free up your serial port for other things, and every PS/2 or USB wheelmouse I've used has worked with the "IMPS/2" protocol.

Similar Threads

  1. "bootfrom" cheatcode not working in K3.8 CeBIT edi
    By tbobz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 07:38 PM
  2. What does the "nomce" cheatcode do?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 09:28 PM
  3. "tohd" cheatcode
    By boehmb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 06:56 PM
  4. The "expert" cheatcode
    By academic in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 08:48 AM
  5. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00