So, in Windows, I can play a movie, and listen to music, and watch homestarrunner shorts at the same time, and they all will have sound. How do I do that in knoppix?
So, in Windows, I can play a movie, and listen to music, and watch homestarrunner shorts at the same time, and they all will have sound. How do I do that in knoppix?
Its complicated.
Either all apps use esound, or you use ALSA with dmix.
jehan60188,
I use ALSA, and I am also on the ALSA email support group, which has enlightened me, to getting "neat" code fragments, like the following...
If you are running ALSA for your sound, then, simply copy/paste the following code, into a file called .asoundrc (yes, there is a DOT in front of that file name), and place the file in your users home folder... i.e. /home/cuddles/.asoundrc (where my user name is "cuddles" and that is where my /home folder resides...)
The above code, in the file I disclosed, has allowed me to play not only a DVD movie (with sound) and a Video Intensive Computer Game (with sound), at the same time.Code:pcm.!default { type plug slave.pcm "dmixer" } pcm.dmixer { type dmix ipc_key 1024 slave { pcm "hw:0,0" rate 48000 } }
Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles
hi Cuddles i wanna ask u something
is alsa is installed on knoppix as default or shall i install it?
then if i install it ,how can i configure it
waellinux,
How would you know if ALSA is installed?
A: Take a look at the output of lsmod - this command will list out ALL modules that have been loaded.
If ALSA is installed, and configured, you should see some, if not all, of the following within the output:
Note the presence of snd... devices, and that the "main" modules, named only snd is using a whole lot of other "snd..." modules... Definate sign that ALSA is installed, and running, and configured...Code:snd_emu10k1 94180 0 snd_rawmidi 22368 1 snd_emu10k1 snd_seq_device 7696 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi snd_ac97_codec 79504 1 snd_emu10k1 snd_pcm_oss 51936 0 snd_mixer_oss 17856 1 snd_pcm_oss snd_pcm 90572 3 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss snd_timer 23560 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm snd_page_alloc 8776 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm snd_util_mem 3968 1 snd_emu10k1 snd_hwdep 8416 1 snd_emu10k1 snd 50024 9 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep soundcore 8800 1 snd
How would one "install" ALSA, and configure it... ?
A: use a very useful command, from within a root Command Line Prompt screen/window:
/usr/sbin/alsaconf -=- or you can just use alsaconf since it is in the search PATH. Like this:
root@neo:~# alsaconf
This will attempt to locate your soundcard, configure it, and then apply all of what ALSA needs.
Before running ALSA though, you should be sure that no other sound server is running, arts, OSS, etc...
( some of the "known" other sound server modules will be like: sound, uart401, any sound card codec's that depend on your cards chipsets, like ac97_codec, and card "audio" modules, like via82cxxx_audio - any of these things not having a snd_ in front of them )
If you are booting off the Live CD, then its a lot easier, you just supply alsa on your boot: prompt line - ie boot: [your other commands] alsa
It should be noted, and I already tried this, that you can not boot the Live CD with the "alsa" option, and then hard drive install, and STILL have alsa running - this trick USED TO work in versions of Knoppix, up to v3.3 - but this trick no longer works in newer versions - you will need to run alsaconf after you hard drive install.
Hope this has helped,
Ms. Cuddles
if you have any problems, or questions, or concerns about ALSA, then, join the ALSA email support group, by going to the following web location, and signing up...
ALSA Email Group
ok, well I'm on the alsa website, what do I need to download?
ok, I went and downloaded the driver, and followed the instructions, but now my soundcard doesn't work. what am I doing wrong?!

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
FS SFP1G-ELX-31 Transceiver Module 1G MULTI MODE
$40.00
(2) Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10G SR SFP+ Transceiver Modules 10-3105-01 - Genuine
$32.88
SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99