Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Version 3.2-2003-04-15

  1. #21
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Version 3.2-2003-04-15

    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley
    [..(normal) boot messages..]
    Soundcard:
    BTW, I recently booted my 'first ever' Knoppix CD again, a late 3.1er. Contrary to the 3.2 version it does state my soundcard there, some C-Media intel8x0 compatible on-board sound.

    btw, with 3.2, booting "knoppix alsa", I still need to use OSS for audio, so there is definately something not working. I'm not sure if ALSA has support for my card anyways.

    I'll post the lpci -v output for soundcard when I boot Knoppix, and/or get my Debian/Knoppix hdinstall running again. I've probably posted it already here somewhere, and you could off coarse look it up on some 3.1er version.
    Hey, alsa does have OSS emulation. Does your card work or not ? All other issues were fixed by a new release of knx-alsa. ) [ I mean those error-messages; thx for the report I ahd more time that I thought ]

    Those will be in next .iso.

    cu

    Fabian

  2. #22
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: Version 3.2-2003-04-15

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    Hey, alsa does have OSS emulation. Does your card work or not ? All other issues were fixed by a new release of knx-alsa. ) [ I mean those error-messages; thx for the report I ahd more time that I thought ]
    Uhm, OSS emu is to run OSS programs on ALSA supported cards, not the other way around, isn't it?

    btw, when I boot plain knoppix (a well " knoppix lang=nl), I get no welcome message (voice), but when I set artsd to use OSS (or autodetect) it works (my mouse with mousewheel too ) I also just saw that my soundcard is display'd during autodetect in this mode.

    If I boot with "knoppix alsa" then I do get the voice and OSS (or autodetect) works, not ALSA.

    lspci -v output:
    00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev a0)
    Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc: Unknown device 0300
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
    I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
    I/O ports at d800 [size=64]
    Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    btw, nice that (almost) all the windowmanagers show up in kdm when logging in.

    But where's xfce? I like the CDE look *cough*

    As a sidenote, does somebody know if a hdinstalled Knoppix would run on a P100-40MB? In graphics mode. Booting it off CD is a PITA, the ramdrive takes about 73% of your RAM... Would the 30MB extra help a lot? If so I'd ditch my -working, but- old Suse 6.4 install and tweak xfce so it has all the nice programs in the panels (please, replace the Netscape button/menu with Mozilla/Konqueror).

  4. #24
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    12
    I have a trouble with reading my own configuration from floppy. It seems to that it try read cfg from floppy at time, when floppy isnt till mounted.

    ie: knoppix=/mnt/auto/floppy raise /dev/auto: No such file or directory

    this is in this new version also, (now i run older, also the same trouble), but interesting is,
    that if i save my configuration on zip media so knoppix myconf=scan same as
    knoppix myconf=/dev/sda4 so this configuration it finds. Rem: floppy working, its after KDE running
    normally mounted. Tested on two computers, at home and in faculty.

    Also agree with idea, pass knoppix myconfig=scan into default iso, where will be something like:

    Trying to find personal configuration #1
    Trying to find personal configuration #2
    Trying to find personal configuration #3

    without questioning if try again when not found. In fact for this, that it will be fully
    automatized and start without user activity, with or without personal config, without
    stopping in case that nothing were found.

    Also thing, it will be beter to implement wheelmouse into default iso with cause, that can
    be called knoppix nowheel if someone will have trouble with wheelmouse protocol.

    Dont get me stone, if i said somewhere something not clear

  5. #25
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by MAB
    I have a trouble with reading my own configuration from floppy. It seems to that it try read cfg from floppy at time, when floppy isnt till mounted.

    ie: knoppix=/mnt/auto/floppy raise /dev/auto: No such file or directory

    this is in this new version also, (now i run older, also the same trouble), but interesting is,
    that if i save my configuration on zip media so knoppix myconf=scan same as
    knoppix myconf=/dev/sda4 so this configuration it finds. Rem: floppy working, its after KDE running
    normally mounted. Tested on two computers, at home and in faculty.

    Also agree with idea, pass knoppix myconfig=scan into default iso, where will be something like:

    Trying to find personal configuration #1
    Trying to find personal configuration #2
    Trying to find personal configuration #3

    without questioning if try again when not found. In fact for this, that it will be fully
    automatized and start without user activity, with or without personal config, without
    stopping in case that nothing were found.

    Also thing, it will be beter to implement wheelmouse into default iso with cause, that can
    be called knoppix nowheel if someone will have trouble with wheelmouse protocol.

    Dont get me stone, if i said somewhere something not clear
    Hm, I'm sorry, but what you said is obsoleted

    For floppy use: "knoppix floppyconf"

    It is a really bad idea to use wheelmouse as default. The mouse will not work at all on those pcs, now only the wheel does not work, and that is fair better. But this issue is solved:

    In 04-18 is Mouse-Protocol = auto, and for some mice (actually just one laptop was found incomptible, all others were automatically detected) a new cheatcode "nowheel" will be added in next ISO.

    cu

    Fabian

  6. #26
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    12
    oki, test it, now try to localize, tx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Version 3.3 2003-09-24 - Small Bug Fix.
    By Stephen in forum News
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 06:18 PM
  2. knoppix 3.3 (2003-09-22 version) does not support HT?
    By tianhm in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 06:18 AM
  3. New version 2003-09-05
    By jaws75 in forum News
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 03:23 AM
  4. Problems with new version of Knoppix (2003.07.26)
    By tomboc in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:59 AM
  5. Downloading version 3.2-2003-04-10
    By felipe_lopes in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 03:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95