Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: NTFS File permissions problem...

  1. #11
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by simkin101
    ... I have no problems booting from the Knoppix 3.7, 3.8.2, and 3.9 CDs on this computer. Not sure where to go next. I wish Knoppix 3.8+ included the captive-ntfs drivers.
    Did you try to boot KANOTIX-2005-02 from the cd ?
    Gilles

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7
    FOLLOWUP: I found that I had copied some of your text incorrectly... I corrected this and now it boots into the Kanotix GUI. I just went through and followed your directions, to successfully gain access to my NTFS drive.

    I was able to delete MOST of my files, but there are still a few that are giving me problems. I tried using the default conqueror to explore the drive and manually drag items to my trash can. I also tried the mc program. I just rebooted and I'm about to try it again to see if I can get at those last pesky files.

    I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!!

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7
    One more followup...

    I got it working quite well, now. I was able to delete ALMOST everything...

    One last question, though. :P If this one can't be solved, I'm just not gonna worry about it anymore.

    I deleted all the FILES, but there are still some FOLDERS that I can't delete.

    For some reason, Linux won't give me Write access to the directories themselves, and it won't let me chmod them at all. It shows this:

    dr-xr-xr-x

    So I have no write access at all, even as root.

    Any ideas how to modify these access restrictions? I'd love to do away with these folders once and for all. :P

  4. #14
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by simkin101
    One more followup... For some reason, Linux won't give me Write access to the directories themselves, and it won't let me chmod them at all. It shows this: dr-xr-xr-x So I have no write access at all, even as root. Any ideas how to modify these access restrictions? I'd love to do away with these folders once and for all. :P
    Glad to read that you got it working. Quick suggestion:
    Did you verify that all the folders of the parent tree have also the rwx access attributes ?
    Cheers, Gilles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Adjust permissions in .cmg-file
    By tomvollerthun in forum Klik
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 11:10 AM
  2. File recovery / File permissions help needed?
    By sepekte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
  3. New User Help on file permissions
    By chachi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:29 AM
  4. File permissions keep changing...
    By hhayes in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 10:58 PM
  5. Changing file permissions
    By bigbene in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh 512K Model M0001W - Works picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 512K Model M0001W - Works

$249.99



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh 670-0269 works with 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2 picture

256k VRAM Vintage Apple Macintosh 670-0269 works with 630-0044 80ns QTY: 2

$76.20



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Vintage 1984 Apple Macintosh MacWrite & MacPaint Boxed Set - Near Complete picture

Vintage 1984 Apple Macintosh MacWrite & MacPaint Boxed Set - Near Complete

$125.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99