Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Nervous Knoppix Newbie

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11

    Nervous Knoppix Newbie

    I just got a CD in the mail today of Knoppix 3.9, and I have a few questions before I get started.

    -Will X Windows/KDE start by itself, or do I have to start it manually. My main question here is, what happens when Knoppix boots?

    -Is it true that this edition can write to NTFS? Should I back up NTFS data before trying it?

    -How will this react to my USB mouse?

    -When is it safe to remove the CD?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    72
    I haven't booted from CD for a while (I did a HD install a few months back), but from the top of my head:
    -Will X Windows/KDE start by itself, or do I have to start it manually. My main question here is, what happens when Knoppix boots?
    Boot it up and find out! Seriously, yes it will automatically detect and configure your system.
    -Is it true that this edition can write to NTFS? Should I back up NTFS data before trying it?
    DO NOT write to NTFS with any Linux Distro! You can read NTFS without any problems. You do not need to back up anything if you are just booting and running from CD.
    -How will this react to my USB mouse?
    It should find it and configure it automatically... it found mine!
    -When is it safe to remove the CD?
    When you exit your session (right click on desktop and select from menu) and shut down the system, it will eject the CD for you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11
    Cool! Thanks for your answers.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11
    Ok, I tried it out... it seems pretty neat...
    I have a Linux partition in place already from SuSE 9, which I damaged and have been unable to fix. I noticed that there was an icon in Knoppix which said, "Create a persistant Knoppix disk image." This would store settings for knoppix, correct?
    Can I put it on the Linux partition that exists already?

Similar Threads

  1. newbie in knoppix ...
    By rrrjunior in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
  2. Knoppix newbie
    By johngrinham in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 11:45 PM
  3. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  4. Knoppix newbie!!!!!!!!!!
    By pbearseven in forum General Support
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 04:25 PM
  5. knoppix newbie
    By srinivasan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 08:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC

$69.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco picture

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco

$89.99



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800 picture

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800

$59.99



Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$50.99



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00