I want to use a knoppix feature (bootfrom cheatcode) requiring a copy of the knoppix CD in the form of a regular file. (Placing that file on the hard disk lets it pinch hit for the CD itself next time you boot so the CD drive gets freed up.) The way to make such a file is with the dd command (dd if=<cd device> of=<filename>).
What if the only available platform for running dd is knoppix itself? With knoppix running, the CD is mounted and you can't unmount it. It goes against my instincts to copy a mounted filesystem. But I seem to have gotten away with it. And being a CD, it's nonvolative, maybe that's why. The resulting file ("knoppix37.iso") is useable with bootfrom ("knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix37.iso"). System come up just fine and I'm free to take the knoppix CD out of the drive. I do notice a slight discrepancy in size of the file, versus one I made from an unmounted copy of the CD on another machine (400 bytes out of 700 gig). But it's all functional.
Any perspectives or downside warnings against dd'ing mounted filesystems, here or in general? Or should I stop worrying about it?

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99
Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00
SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code
$108.09