-
Senior Member
registered user
As root user, try the command:
modprobe 8139too
then try
ifconfig -a
& hopefully you will see a eth0 device.
If the eth0 device exists, try netcardconfig
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi James,
I did as you instructed - modprobe 8139too then ifconfig -a then netcardconfig.
Here is the results:
Code:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:FC:FE:FD:47
inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:5 Base address:0xc000Hi James,
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
By the way - after running ifconfig -a I still was not able to load a web page. However it seems like some signal is getting through. In other words - the browser takes a while before letting me know that it can't connect. Before running your commands when I tried using the browser it immediatly told me there was not a connection. Is this helpful?
-
Junior Member
registered user
By the way, when I re-boot, the configuration seems to go away.
-
Senior Member
registered user
cindy, how do you go to the Internet? I have simple ADSL Ethernet modem (no router), setup as bridge and I can't go to the Internet with eth0 setup as your is. My ifconfig looks like that:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8D:66:BA:EE
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1871 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1842 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1587863 (1.5 MiB) TX bytes:301642 (294.5 KiB)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0x2000
(lo....., ppp0....).
I get this in diferent way in diferrent distributions of Linux - automatic or I use a dirty trick - during netcardconfiguration I use static IP adrress but delete all numbers, and conection works.
If I want to accsess my modem, for setup, I must configure net card with DHCP, 192.168.1.2
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'm using cable.
Maybe the problem is this: when I generated that output I had a wireless router between the Knoppix computer and the cable modem.
Like this:
cable modem >----- ethernet cable----- >wireless router >-----ethernet cable-----> knoppix computer.
I could connect the cable modem directly to the knoppix computer and try your commands again if you want.
-
Junior Member
registered user
My cable modem is a motorolla surfboard and my wireless router is a belkin f5d6231-4 (802.11b)
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
cindy
I'm using cable.
Maybe the problem is this: when I generated that output I had a wireless router between the Knoppix computer and the cable modem.
Like this:
cable modem >----- ethernet cable----- >wireless router >-----ethernet cable-----> knoppix computer.
I could connect the cable modem directly to the knoppix computer and try your commands again if you want.
You should be able to keep the router in the circuit. You'll want to , as that will be the final way you'll run anyway. There is certainly no reason why the router should not stay in the configuration.
One problem from a previous posting is that your own IP address seems to be 192.168.0.1. That is likely the IP address of your router (unless you've changed it) and can't be your address too. If it's getting set this way by an automatic Netcardconfig the I would suggest booting again from CD and seeing what your current ifconfig is, the booting the hd install again, doing the steps James gave you including the netcardconfig. If you are doing an "automatic" netcardconfig and still get the 192.168.0.1 setting, do a netcardconfig and take the manual setting option and force the IP address o be what it was when you booted from CD (and maake the other settings too). Does that help? It seems like your hard disk install is forcing the wrong IP address, but why I have no idea.
-
Senior Member
registered user
What about this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19518 Please, watch the very end of the post.
-
Junior Member
registered user
James,George and "tdjokic",
Got it working! Thank you so much!!!
The problem was I answered " no" each time when netcardconfig asked "Start DHCP broadcast?"
In retrospect I know that was really dumb I know!. I apologize for wasting your time. But your advice and encouragement kept me going when I was about to give up. Thank you so much!
One more request?
Now that the card is being detected is there anything more I need to do to make sure it stays that way? Can I "save" the settings so that Knoppix will be able to detect the ethernet card next time turn on the machine?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Sorry Harry - I meant to address the message to you. I don't know where I came up with George! I've been fooling with this computer too much. I'm taking a break!
Similar Threads
-
By Matthew87 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-17-2006, 02:29 AM
-
By carmat06 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-29-2005, 01:00 AM
-
By mtaplits in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-04-2004, 09:14 AM
-
By pankepasa in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-08-2003, 02:58 AM
-
By jstaker in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00