Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 130

Thread: Knoppix 4.0

  1. #61
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by supernix
    Just curious why is nobody using something like bearshare or Emule to distribute the DVD what uses English as the default or the other version as well?
    Why bearshare or emule? Is there something wrong with bittorrent?

  2. #62
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11

    Linux ISO Editing Tool

    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Does such a program exist on *nix? To my knowledge, it does not exist.
    To my knowledge, it doesn't exist either (although you know more than I do). I was wondering why not myself, since you can use a program like WinISO to add and delete files from ISO images, without extracting them, and then save the result. In Linux, you can mount an ISO 9660 image, but it's read-only.

    Anyway, it's pretty easy to extract the Knoppix CD/DVD, make your changes, and save the results to a new ISO image if you know the "magic incantations" of mkisofs, which are in the Wiki (use the mkisofs command for Knoppix 3.4), especially if you're not making any changes to the cloop files.
    Hi justin_c, UnderScore and eco2geek,

    There is a Linux ISO editing tool for use in KDE called KIso and you can find out about it here http://kiso.sourceforge.net/ Maybe it is something worth requesting that this App be added to the Knoppix disk in future although I must say I have not tried it myself.

  3. #63
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Does such a program exist on *nix? To my knowledge, it does not exist.
    To my knowledge, it doesn't exist either (although you know more than I do). I was wondering why not myself, since you can use a program like WinISO to add and delete files from ISO images, without extracting them, and then save the result. In Linux, you can mount an ISO 9660 image, but it's read-only.

    Anyway, it's pretty easy to extract the Knoppix CD/DVD, make your changes, and save the results to a new ISO image if you know the "magic incantations" of mkisofs, which are in the Wiki (use the mkisofs command for Knoppix 3.4), especially if you're not making any changes to the cloop files.
    Please see my post in customizing and remastering regarding the DVD customizing of isolinux.cfg in the DVD.

  4. #64
    I just don't seem to get nearly as much speed from the Torrents as I do Emule or BearShare.

    I did test the Knoppix 4.0 de though and sadly enough I could not get it to work for printing.
    I have a HP deskjet 5100 and it would not work. It is attached to the USB port as well.

  5. #65
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by supernix
    I just don't seem to get nearly as much speed from the Torrents as I do Emule or BearShare.
    Speed, of course, depends on the speed of the site or sites that is sending the file, but if this is an overall true statement including for the Knoppix CD torrents then you're likely not using BitTorrent right. I've talked about how to set BitTorrent up in other threads, but It's straying far off-topic for a NEWS thread on Knoppix 4, so I'm not going to duplicate that information here. Just consider that there may still be things that you could learn and search the forums for recent mention of BitTorrent or research it more on your own.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #66

  7. #67
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    11
    Where knoppix 4.0 CD (iso, torrent, rar) can be found. I see everywhere DVD edition but no cd version. Maybe it wasn't released yet ??

  8. #68
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    Klaus has not released the CD version.....

  9. #69
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelman
    There is a Linux ISO editing tool for use in KDE called KIso and you can find out about it here http://kiso.sourceforge.net/ Maybe it is something worth requesting that this App be added to the Knoppix disk in future although I must say I have not tried it myself.
    Thanks for the info -- it wouldn't compile on my Kanotix/Debian Sid box, but it looks very interesting. Maybe it'll make its way into KDE and/or Debian.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelman
    There is a Linux ISO editing tool for use in KDE called KIso and you can find out about it here http://kiso.sourceforge.net/ Maybe it is something worth requesting that this App be added to the Knoppix disk in future although I must say I have not tried it myself.
    Thanks for the info -- it wouldn't compile on my Kanotix/Debian Sid box, but it looks very interesting. Maybe it'll make its way into KDE and/or Debian.
    Did you install all the deps?
    This older one installed http://www.podulator.com/debs/kiso/k...0.7-1_i386.deb but for some reason only works with "kdesu kiso"

    EDIT: No wonder it needed kdesu. It seems to have added the following to /etc/sudoers:
    ALL ALL=NOPASSWD:/bin/mount -o loop* -t iso9660* /home/*/.kisotmp/* ,/bin/umount /home/*/.kisotmp/*

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$699.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99