Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: HD install on windows partition?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    11

    HD install on windows partition?

    My system has a single 40M HD with 2 FAT32 partitions-
    c: - minimal Win 98 which I can throw away as I don't use it any anymore
    - some XP program installations
    - folders of data, MP3s, pictures, some old DOS programs, etc.
    d: has XP and some program installations

    Can I install knoppix to c: while keeping FAT32 on both partitions and without loosing the files already there?

    If so, I presume the install will replace my current XP boot menu with a Linux one so that I can boot either, correct?

    I can see that resizing of the partitions and/or adding an additional partition might be helpful. Does knoppix provide a partition tool of some sort that works with FAT32?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You could try a HD Based install to do what you want.

    If you do want the win98 anymore you could just install to the hard drive and not let lilo write to the MBR and boot with floppy.

    Partition Managers are here.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    11
    I played a little bit with the HD based iso option. During the boot I got some warning(s) about using a FAT32 partition. Once it started Konquerer opened with an error that it couldn't find the file. The 2nd is probably due to the fact that only the iso file is in c:\knoppix and not the entire CD. I assume that neither is important?

    For now the HD based iso option is probably all I need. Plus it has the added benefit that I can't screw it up

    But, thinking ahead, if/when I want to go to a full HD installation, does it require a linux formatted partition or can it exist on and run from a FAT32 partition, allowing me to install/delete pacakges, etc? From my reading of the documentation it appears the answer is no.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --No, you cannot run Linux from a FAT32 partition the way you are thinking; that would be UMSDOS. Google for it. Subpar performance, not what you want in the long run.

    --What I would recommend, if you are throwing away Win98, is to run fdisk:
    ' fdisk /dev/hda '

    --Delete the win98 partition
    --Make a swap partition (type 82) of at least 128Meg
    --Make a Linux partition of at least 2300Meg for Knoppix (this will be root)
    --If you have space leftover, make another Linux partition or an extended partition. Here you can throw in a logical D: for XP or however many other partitions you like.

    --Using software like PartitionMagic makes the process a whole lot easier.

    --Um, just to clear something up; you should have the big "knoppix" file from cdrom:\knoppix directory in c:\knoppix, not the iso.

    Quote Originally Posted by riechert
    I played a little bit with the HD based iso option. During the boot I got some warning(s) about using a FAT32 partition. Once it started Konquerer opened with an error that it couldn't find the file. The 2nd is probably due to the fact that only the iso file is in c:\knoppix and not the entire CD. I assume that neither is important?

    For now the HD based iso option is probably all I need. Plus it has the added benefit that I can't screw it up

    But, thinking ahead, if/when I want to go to a full HD installation, does it require a linux formatted partition or can it exist on and run from a FAT32 partition, allowing me to install/delete pacakges, etc? From my reading of the documentation it appears the answer is no.

Similar Threads

  1. Windows cant see data partition after hd install of knoppix
    By charles1981 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 06:42 AM
  2. HDD Install tampered with my Windows partition table
    By majikman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 02:47 AM
  3. How to install Knoppix on the same partition as Windows?
    By Zibar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 03:58 AM
  4. windows partition
    By dougvega in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 01:56 AM
  5. install knoppix --> windows partition vanishes!
    By Rockstar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro X10DRU-i 2U  12LFF  2x E5-2680 v4  128gb Ram  480gb SSD 2x Nvidia K80 picture

Supermicro X10DRU-i 2U 12LFF 2x E5-2680 v4 128gb Ram 480gb SSD 2x Nvidia K80

$749.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00