-
> have you read http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo
> If so did you note that a HD install is not an easy thing to use or figure out? Did you also note > the minimum system requirements?
Yep. It says, "make sure there is some empty space on your hard drive so you can create at least 2 Linux partitions, one for the System (minimal 3 GB, 5GB recommended) and another partition for for Swap (http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory) (minimal 200MB, 500MB recommended) during the installation process."
> You may not be able to install to a 2GB hda1 since it might not be big enough to hold the
> entire decompressed Knoppix CD. If it is large enough to allow a complete install, then you
> will probably have at most 100MB of free space.
If I try the install anyway, but the hard disk turns out not to be big enough, do I run the risk of destroying the disk entirely?
For more free space I was planning to use an external hard drive.
> If I read your hd stats correctly, the HD is 4Gb total?
Yes. 4 GB total.
> If so, just delete all the partitions, then create at minimum a 2.5 GB hda1 (or use the whole
> 3.5Gb for root), then 500MB hda2 then 1GB hda3. Format hda1 as ext3. Format hda2 as
> swap. Format hda3 as ext3. Then attempt to to install.
2.5 GB for root sounds too minimal. How about going with: 3 GB system (active), .5 GB swap, .5 GB free.
How to proceed with this is still a mystery... How do I delete all the partitions
and create new ones? I assume that's what QTParted is supposed to do. Will QTParted be intuitive enough if I just go ahead and click Format and do what it says?
> Its not that easy.
I guess not
But you know what they say, Nothing comes easy.
> I wish you success.
> James
Thanks, and thanks for the reply.
--Bill
Similar Threads
-
By Newbie-100 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-11-2005, 10:57 PM
-
By jehan60188 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-22-2004, 04:06 AM
-
By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 02:09 AM
-
By dresac in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 01:38 AM
-
By Buttersoft in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

SAMSUNG M393A2K43CB2-CTD8Y 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V ECC REG Server Memory RAM
$160.00

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99