Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Bootup Stalling

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7

    Bootup Stalling

    Hey everyone,

    I am very new at this, and before I actually partion my hard drive and install knoppix, I wanted to burn it to a CD and test it out... So of course I had a problem doing this!

    First, I downloaded "KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso" From ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/knoppix/.

    Next, I burned it using "Nero" to create a bootable disk (This might be the problem because I'm not sure if it was suppose to be bootable)

    I popped the CD into the drive, went into my BIOS, and changed the boot order to make CD ROM the first one.

    So far, so good...

    Now, it started to load, I think, but then it stalled half way through. It stalled right after this scrolled down on the screen:

    Code:
    Caldera DR-DOS 7.03 
    Copyright (c) 1976, 1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved.
    [DR-DOS] A:\]
    After this comes onto the screen, it just pauses and there is a blinking square next to it. When I hit enter, "[DR-DOS] A:\]" keeps appearing.

    I am VERY new at this, so please be kind and help out if possible.

    Thanks in advance,

    username11

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Welcome to Knoppix.net
    Iam sorry to say that you are buring it wrong. Please search the forums as this has been covered many times before. Search for burn or burning or caldera or dr-dos and you will get the answers you need.

    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7
    I think I found the answer, but I am not sure... Is my problem related to me not burning the .ISO file as a 'bootable ISO-Image'?

    Thanks for the help UnderScore,

    username11

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    You are almost there. Please read my responses at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=86426#86426 and see also http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=86918#86918

    I wish you success.
    James

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by username11
    I think I found the answer, but I am not sure... Is my problem related to me not burning the .ISO file as a 'bootable ISO-Image'?

    Thanks for the help UnderScore,

    username11
    No. It's related to not burning it as an image. Don't do anything to make it bootable. If you just burn it as an image you will put what is on the ISO on a CD properly and it will boot. If you do anything to make it Bootable, Knoppix will not be there when it boots. You've been there already.

    Burn it slow and (although everyone who doesn't know what this means ignores it rather than do a quick Google search) it's important to check the md5 sum if you downloaded from a mirror.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7
    Ok, I got it up and running!!!!

    Thank you both!

Similar Threads

  1. Copy File Transfer Speeds & Stalling [Recovery to USB HD
    By KnoppixNubster in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 02:44 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.9 File Transfer to Flash Drive - Stalling
    By tomsmithbloke in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
  3. Stalling when transferring large files to usb 2.0 drive
    By kjjaeger in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM
  4. Question Regarding bootup
    By Guitarman500 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:08 AM
  5. Ugh, another bootup problem
    By funtownarcade in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2 picture

Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2

$32.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver

$4.99



Ubiquiti Unifi USW PRO AGGREGATION 28x10Gbe 4x25Gbe QSFP28 Layer 3 Switch picture

Ubiquiti Unifi USW PRO AGGREGATION 28x10Gbe 4x25Gbe QSFP28 Layer 3 Switch

$700.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99