Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Howto install kernel after ISO HDD install?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    4

    Howto install kernel after ISO HDD install?

    I've installed Knoppix 3.8.1 to HDD from a downloaded ISO. My modem is an unsupported winmodem, so I must install drivers for it. There is no apparently no kernel image on the ISO.
    I must have an installed kernel to install drivers for the modem.

    So. I have downloaded kernel-source 2.6.11 and installed with Kpackage. Kpackage reports that the install is succesful. When I try to confirm the install with KDE Control Centre, I get the report "the kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error: No hardware architecture was specified! Perhaps the kernel source code is not installed on this system or the path to the kernel source is entered incorrectly."

    If I try to install the modem drivers Kpackage reports "missing or unconfigured kernel source tree" etc etc

    Can someone help me out with this?

    Thanks
    Paul

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Howto install kernel after ISO HDD install?

    Quote Originally Posted by riscbroker
    I've installed Knoppix 3.8.1 to HDD from a downloaded ISO. My modem is an unsupported winmodem, so I must install drivers for it. There is no apparently no kernel image on the ISO.
    I must have an installed kernel to install drivers for the modem.

    So. I have downloaded kernel-source 2.6.11 and installed with Kpackage. Kpackage reports that the install is succesful. When I try to confirm the install with KDE Control Centre, I get the report "the kernel configuration could not be read due to the following error: No hardware architecture was specified! Perhaps the kernel source code is not installed on this system or the path to the kernel source is entered incorrectly."

    If I try to install the modem drivers Kpackage reports "missing or unconfigured kernel source tree" etc etc

    Can someone help me out with this?

    Thanks
    Paul
    Your request for assistance has been posted to the wrong forum. This forum is for creating custom Knoppix CDs & not for Debian or HD install problems which are to be posted to Hdd Install / Debian / Apt forum.. Please see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574

    As for acessing the source code & compiling a new kernel, I have not & would not use the KDE Control Centre to do that. Please read the following links to get a better idea of how add drivers by compiling a kernel.
    http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/deb...el2.6_compile/
    http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=335

Similar Threads

  1. HOWTO: Customising/Upgrading the Kernel - An Evolving HowTo
    By firnsy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM
  2. Is There an Install From HDD HOWTO?
    By 3str in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 11:22 AM
  3. Howto install nvidia driver with kernel 2.6.5
    By Gozar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 08:03 PM
  4. Howto install
    By sivaraj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 06:15 PM
  5. HD install+Nvidia driver install = no kernel headers aargh
    By nishtya in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00