Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: persistent home over the network

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92

    persistent home over the network

    I want to boot Knoppix over the network, using the knoppix-terminalserver and PXE to boot. That I'm having no problem with

    What I would really like to do is be able to setup a persistent home directory on a samba share on a linux server in my network. Weather it is mounted on bootup or once knoppix is fully loaded, it doesn't really matter.

    The idea is that I can sit down at any computer in my house, and boot off of the network, enter my user/pass to the main linux server, and be up and running in Knoppix with my home directory right in front of me; no matter which computer I was in front of!

    Any ideas?! Thx,

    - ambrose

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    The idea is that I can sit down at any computer in my house, and boot off of the network, enter my user/pass to the main linux server, and be up and running in Knoppix with my home directory right in front of me; no matter which computer I was in front of!
    I achieved this using a different approach: I installed Kanotix (a Knoppix derivative) on the server, where I have created a user account with a permanent home directory and a software environment customized to my needs. Upon start up, I run the terminal server script and also start FreeNX server. This allows me to boot any client over the network and to log on to the server simply by running NXclient on the client. It's like logging on to your account on a mainframe computer, it doesn't matter which terminal you use.

Similar Threads

  1. persistent home
    By alpha_geek in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
  2. Persistent Home
    By staran in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
  3. What can you do with persistent home
    By beausimon in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 03:40 PM
  4. Persistent home isn't dynamic
    By lsr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 01:04 PM
  5. network persistent home directory.
    By Powindah in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 08:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00



Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller picture

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller

$68.99