-
Senior Member
registered user
tr
I used the script shown above and it did work for me. I am writing this reply from within my Gnome remastered Knoppix 3.8. One thing I would like to mention that I used Kanotix CD to make the compressed file, knoppix CD did not work and don't know why. However, I still have a problem. X does start and shows "Linux In use" picture but Gnome takes several minutes to startup. It shows metacity splash screen and hangs for several minuts but X did start.
By the way, I downloaded Parix and found it full of bugs and unstable. Moreover, its developer made several changes to prevent remastring it. I was not able to start X as user in chrooted environment because creating password for user was not allowed.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
knopx4me
I used the script shown above and it did work for me.
However, I still have a problem. X does start and shows "Linux In use" picture but Gnome takes several minutes to startup. It shows metacity splash screen and hangs for several minuts but X did start.
I think that the 45xsession in not my problem. Do you have some scirpts in /etc/rc5.d/@99gdm? What is in /etc/rcS.d?
I made even .xession file in /etc/skel which has only gnome-session. Then I added gdm to the end of knoppix-autoconfig. Now gdm is started but /home/knoppix is an empty directory. I don't know why it is not populated this time. And my solution is not a good one because now 'boot: linux 2' startx gdm automatically - so 'init 5' don't work and I can't start Knoppix only in text-mode.
In Knoppix CD 'init 5' starts /etc/init.d/xsession. What is started if Gnome is used and no xsession file exists after removing KDE?
I have had sometimes (not in every Gnome remastering attempts) same problem in starting metacity - takes much time. Take a look at /home/knoppix/.xsession-errors and you know what's the problem. But how to solve it?
Could someone look how Gnome is started from Knoppix 4 DVD and tell me? I'm waiting for 4.0.2 version before downloading.
-tapsa-
-
Senior Member
registered user
tr
I finally got it working smoothly. I used the 45xsession file that comes with Parsix after repacing parsix with knoppix and making Gnome the default Window Manager. By the way, I copied the content of Parsix 45xsession file into the original 45xsession file to avoid having problems with permissions. However, at the begining of X start, I have to move the mouse for a split of a second (I do not know why) and every thing starts rolling. Now to answer your questions:
- No, I do not have /etc/rc5.d/@99gdm in the remaster folder but after HD installation a /etc/rc5.d/s99gdm was created.
- There are 23 files in /etc/rcS.d. Which one you are interseted to know about?
- I changed the following line in /etc/init.d/gdm from true to false to force starting gdm:
HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=false
PS: Is it possible that I load that file to this site so every body can use?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
knopx4me
There are 23 files in /etc/rcS.d. Which one you are interseted to know about?
PS: Is it possible that I load that file to this site so every body can use?
Do you really have 23 files in CD? I'm always using Fabian Franz's menu based scripts and Knoppix.clean removes all but @S00knoppix-autoconfig. I thins that at least @99gdm should be copied back before makin compressed fs. Havn't had time yet to try this.
I would appreciate very much if someone would send me original 45xsession and knoppix-autoconfig files from Knoppix 4 DVD (send me a private message and I can give my e-mail address). At least from DVD Gnome should start fine.
-tapsa-
Similar Threads
-
By sulement in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-09-2008, 04:39 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-15-2006, 05:35 PM
-
By andrei in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:01 PM
-
By knopx4me in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-07-2005, 04:47 PM
-
By Suunsu in forum The Lounge
Replies: 8
Last Post: 02-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00

Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s
$135.65