Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Plugging and unplugging USB drives

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42

    Plugging and unplugging USB drives

    I'm having a USB device problem on my machine - Knoppix 3.8.2 installed on HD of a Pentium 600.

    After the helpful advice of folks on here, the Linux box will now happily recognise my pen drive and my digital camera (which it sees as another USB drive, but that's OK). They become /mnt/uba1 and /mnt/ubb1- first to arrive is uba1, the second is ubb1.

    I can plug them in when the machine's already running, and it will mount them and open them. No problem so far.

    However, if I unplug them again, things start to go wrong. First, I cannot replug and reconnect to them - konqueror crashes if I try to do so. Second, the whole /mnt/ directory becomes inaccessible once I've unplugged one.

    I'm sure the answer lies in how they are defined in /etc/fstab. Googling has come up with many different "fixes"; I've not yet found one that works.

    I've tried the following in /etc/fstab:

    /dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1 vfat loop,noauto 0 0
    /dev/ubb1 /mnt/ubb1 vfat loop,noauto 0 0
    directly under the hard drive definitions. That would not work unless they were connected at boot-up.

    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=022 0 0
    directly under the hard drive definitions. That didn't work at all.

    devfs /devfs devfs defaults 0 0
    /devfs/ub/a/part1 /mnt/uba1 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    Didn't work at all.

    And then, towards the top of fstab, directly below the floppy drive set:
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0
    /dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/ubb1 /mnt/ubb1 vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0

    and then instead of the second and third lines above,
    /dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1 vfat loop,noauto 0 0
    /dev/ubb1 /mnt/ubb1 vfat loop,noauto 0 0

    I'm presently using the last one above, and I get one go at plugging in and accessing the device. Thereafter, it has to stay plugged in till shutdown, or the machine gets very stroppy.

    Where am I going wrong?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42
    Some more experimentation: DMESG is my friend...

    If I unplug uba1 after I've opened it in konqueror (and closed konqueror), then plug it back in, its going and coming are seen, and it is renamed ubc1 (ubb1 still being present).

    So the problem seems to be that the resources aren't being released when a USB device is removed.

    I tried to "unmount" before unplugging, both via Konqueror and a root terminal; the answer both times was "device is busy".

Similar Threads

  1. problem unplugging then replugging usb webcam
    By turbine in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
  2. CD and DVD drives
    By Markus in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM
  3. How to select drives?
    By Israel in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 12:44 PM
  4. Partioning Drives etc etc....
    By giant_toaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 08:30 PM
  5. 2 CD drives...
    By Chris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$79.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00