Please I just booted the Live CD but I'm unable to delete files on Fat32 partitions... WHY?![]()
![]()
![]()
Please I just booted the Live CD but I'm unable to delete files on Fat32 partitions... WHY?![]()
![]()
![]()
See Using FAQ
I've done what it said, changed the read only thing in Properties but still i cannot delete files on windows partionion *fat32*.
Are you sure that it's fat32? Did you mount the drive using mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1?Originally Posted by Tetsuro
Did you add permissions to change all the files on that drive with chmod -R 777 /mnt/hda1?
--You can't change permissions effectively on fat32 filesystems with chmod - it causes unpredictable results. Try changing a vfat file to 600 and you'll see what I mean.
--Fat32 file permissions are instead controlled by the mount command ( see ' man mount '. )
--This drive is assigned with uid=1001 (my non-root login ) as the "owner."Code:/dev/hde8 on /mnt/drivef type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1001)
Here's the fstab entry for that drive:
--Note that the owner will revert when the drive is umounted:Code:/dev/hde8 /mnt/drivef vfat defaults,users,noexec,noatime,uid=dave,rw 0 0
--Quick (and safe) solution to delete files:Code:la /mnt drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 472 Jun 5 23:23 bkps drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 384 Jun 5 23:55 bkps2 drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 352 Jun 5 23:58 bkps3 drwxr--r-- 8 dave root 8192 Dec 31 1969 cdtemp drwxr--r-- 40 dave root 8192 Dec 31 1969 drived drwxr--r-- 17 dave root 8192 Dec 31 1969 drivef umount /mnt/drived la /mnt/drived drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 72 May 21 21:32 drived
o Switch to root console ( Ctrl-Alt-F1 ) and enter ' mc '
o cd to the directory you want
o Mark files with Insert, or just set the cursor on a directory
o Hit F8 to delete them.
( The "grey plus" key on the numeric keypad will mark all files in a directory except subdirs; " Grey - " will unmark them. )
--I **never** use bare " rm " to delete directories; always use mc or another filemanager. In doing this, you avoid the most regrettable *nix admin's lament: " I accidentally just trashed my filesystem! " (There are stories all over the Internet about this... It's the #1 trap to fall into. DD is another matter however... But that is a story for another day.
o DON'T USE RM AS ROOT:
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Rm
Originally Posted by foamrotreturns

Rare Vintage Soviet KM1801VM3 (КМ1801ВМ3) 16-bit CPU Processor - White Ceramic
$99.00
Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19
Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage Cubix A2870 + 2x A2310 QL 2286 Video Module ISA Boards 1989 Untested
$207.92
VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8
$34.95
Vintage Compaq Presario 1800-XL1 Laptop Computer 1456VQL1N w Win Key
$34.99
Vintage NeXTstation N1100 Computer Workstation w HDD & FDD Steve Jobs Powers On
$299.95
Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed
$34.99