Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Restoring NTFS Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1

    Restoring NTFS Drive

    Right, I am not necisarily new to Linux, but am more comfortable with Windows. Now, seeing as Linux most likely is more manouverable to do what I want, I need to know if I can do this.

    My problem is that I have a second HDD in my PC, and all of a sudden, Windows is telling me it is corrupt and unreadable. It is formatted in NTFS. I use XP SP2, but the drive was formatted long before I got that. Now I turn to Knoppix, as it is a live distro - and I believe has some NTFS capabilities. How exactly would I go about attempting to read this drive in linux, and then copy it's contents onto another HDD so that I can then reformat it? Can it be done with Knoppix? I do know that the second HDD will have to be in FAT 32 to be written to and read by windows and Knoppix.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Restoring NTFS Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by deadparrot
    How exactly would I go about attempting to read this drive in linux
    Boot Knoppix. Click on the desktop icon for the partition in question. See if there is enough left of the partition for Knoppix to make sense of it. (You haven't even tried booting Knoppix before asking this, have you?)

    Quote Originally Posted by deadparrot
    Can it be done with Knoppix?
    People have done it. I have done it. But we obviously don't know what has happened to your partition and what sucess you'll have.

Similar Threads

  1. Can i remaster to an ntfs drive?
    By computerman0216 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 03:29 PM
  2. Copy files from NTFS drive to another drive
    By Kehart25 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2006, 06:19 PM
  3. Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive
    By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
  4. How to copy an NTFS drive to another NTFS drive
    By Bothersome in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99