Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: System Hangs on Booting and Shutdown

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9

    System Hangs on Booting and Shutdown

    Hello:

    I hope someone out there can help me. I just installed debian unstable from the knoppix cd 3.9. This is the secobd time all this is happening on two separate machines and two separate intalls. I really think there is something in the KNOPPIX install process to the hard drive that is not smooth in terms of making the network aspect work ok. And I am having all sorts of network problems. Here is what is happening:

    1) The system was hanging on booting on YP/NIS because it was allocating a server to KNOPPIX. I removed that problem by renaming the nis script and changing it to be non-executable. I didn't know where to stop the system from reading the nis script.

    2) The system hanged on shutdown because of smbd and nmbd. My solution: use synaptic to uninstall samba.

    3) This is the most insidious of all. Knoppix installs BOTH DHCP3 and pump and both are somehow intefering with each other. My solution: use synaptic to uninstall dhcp3.

    4) Now, I am really stuck. The system boots ok. But, when I logon, the desktop hangs and won't give me a desktop. If I logon in console mode, kill the network, it will logon to give me a desktop. Come on !! This is frustrating.

    a) my /etc/hosts is fine.
    b) my /etc/resolv.conf is fine. All the nameservers and search paths have been found.
    c) my /etc/network/interfaces is fine. It resembles what is out there on the internet.

    I am sure this is due to glitches in the Knoppix install of debian. Why, for example, when I kill the network, can I get the desktop? What is it that makes the boot to the desktop hang when the network is running. Why did the nis script as installed by Knoppix point to some Knoppix server which didn't exist and then hand my system?

    Look, all I did was to boot the Knoppix 3.9 CD, become root and execute the command knoppix-installer. This is a dual-boot system; I go this to work OK. I am not a Linux expert, but I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing and know when something is wrong with the install process.

    A. R. Rossi

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Bugs on Knoppix 3.9 (see #15): http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27
    A probable solution to your problem: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19518
    Which all gives support to the reason why many of us do not recommed a install of Knoppix to the HD http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9
    Hello:

    Thank you so much for your quick response. That did it. It works fine now.

    I apologize for flaming out, but I was so frustrated.

    Warm regards,

    Angelo

Similar Threads

  1. After knoppix shutdown system is dead??????
    By robb01 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 11:46 PM
  2. Knoppix hangs during shutdown
    By PlantPerson in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 12:00 AM
  3. system hangs while booting
    By macrojen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 05:43 AM
  4. Knoppix hangs on Eht0 when shutdown or reboot?
    By ThE_R_o_B in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 04:20 AM
  5. Preventing system shutdown when logging out
    By bigpilot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver

$4.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$20.70



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99