-
why knoppix ship without dhclient?
it would be useful and process of network connection would be 100% automatic if dhclient is present in live cd.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I boot my live CD and I'm on the Internet as soon as the boot finishes. I have no idea what more you think is needed. Sure, there may be support issues with some hardware, particularly wireless cards, but I don't understand what you think is missing.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
I boot my live CD and I'm on the Internet as soon as the boot finishes. I have no idea what more you think is needed. Sure, there may be support issues with some hardware, particularly wireless cards, but I don't understand what you think is missing.
don't get me wrong. for a newbie like me knoppix is awesome not only as livecd but also as desktop OS. autodetect version of kanoppix is awesome dude. virtually everythign is properly detected. what i don't understand is why such mundane and small application like dhclient was ommitted. because without it i could not connect to my wireless network since it is configured with DHCP.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Lets consider the issues. Wireless support is much further behind because the manufacturers (card and chip) will not release good hardware register information to the developer community. They make their own drivers for MS systems, and most care about little else. When they do release drivers for the Linux world they are often a bad joke. My 802.11b Dlink pcmcia cards have "linux drivers" that are nearly 2 meg in size, for example! I've seen many full and very complete OS's that are smaller than that, there is absolutely no sane reason way a wireless driver should be so huge, and no sane way that a live CD like Knoppix could contain many such bloated drivers. But more importantly, Knoppix is a Live CD and intended to run as a live CD. A wireless network is intended to be configured with security to allow authorized users access, not everyone. If Knoppix was expected to boot from CD and access a wireless network with no configuration, it could only do so if users were encouraged to leave their systems wide open. This is hardly a reasonable thing to expect or for Knoppix to promote.
So, for the sake of security, it doesn't seem unreasonable for Knoppix to not access your wireless system on boot with no configuration at all. Just the opposite, it's bad form to set up a network system so this could be done by any live CD.
And this discussion certainly belongs in the network section, so I'll move it.
-
Surely though, it has pump, which is as good as dhclient, and it has the tools to wlcardconfig / netcardconfig tools to allow you to connect wirelessly (at least, 3.3 / 3.4 does, I've never bothered going to the later versions when apt-get dist upgrade is sufficient), so what's the problem?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Lot of 50 HPE Mellanox 655874B21 Rev B2 40G QSFP to 10G SFP Adapter G2U
$224.95