-
PS/2 mouse doesn't work after upgrade
Hi Folks,
Is there someone who would please help me get my mouse working again?? Would I ever appreciate it!
I installed Knoppix to hard disk a while ago. My PS/2 mouse stopped working after I upgraded using aptitude. Some details:
Mouse works when I boot to the 2.6.x kernel but doesn't with the 2.4.26.
The keyboard works with the 2.4.26.
root@pearman:/dev# ls -l mouse
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jul 16 21:18 mouse -> /dev/psaux
/etc/X11/XF86Config contains the following lines:
Section "Keyboard"
Protocol "Standard"
AutoRepeat 500 5
LeftAlt Meta
RightAlt Meta
ScrollLock Compose
RightCtl Control
# This is just the default keymap for X.
# May be changed with the KDE international keyboard tool.
XkbModel "pc105"
XkbLayout "us"
# XkbOptions "ctrl:swapcaps"
# XkbKeycodes "xfree86"
# XkbTypes "default"
# XkbCompat "default"
# XkbSymbols "us(pc101)"
# XkbGeometry "pc"
# XkbRules "xfree86"
# XkbModel "pc101"
# XkbLayout "us"
EndSection
Section "Pointer"
Protocol "PS/2"
Device "/dev/mouse"
Emulate3Buttons
Emulate3Timeout 70
EndSection
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 contains the lines:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection
I notice the following:
root@pearman:/# ps -A | grep gpm
1254 ? 00:00:00 gpm
And I notice that a nearly identical Knoppix installation on another computer, also with kernel 2.4.26, has these same lines in its FX86Config files, yet gpm isn't running and it's PS/2 wheelmouse works fine.
Could gpm actually be causing this problem? I find:
root@pearman:/# cat /etc/gpm.conf
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=autops2
append=''
sample_rate=
If gpm is the problem, how do I get it not to start at boot?
I would certainly appreciate any ideas, because I don't seem to have any more
Peter
-
Re: PS/2 mouse doesn't work after upgrade

Originally Posted by
pearman
If gpm is the problem, how do I get it not to start at boot?
As root: update-rc.d -f gpm remove
To get it back: update-rc.d gpm defaults
-
Markus,
Well, that hunch seems to have been right. Removing gpm has freed up the mouse.
Thanks a bunch for the tip on how to do it.
Peter
Similar Threads
-
By markleong in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-08-2005, 03:58 PM
-
By mco in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-19-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By ezuk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-26-2004, 09:26 PM
-
By clfest in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-30-2003, 01:59 AM
-
By ool in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD
$799.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00