Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Permanant cheat codes?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1

    Permanant cheat codes?

    Hi folks, I've got a quick newbie question... I searched through the forums and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask.

    I use Knoppix almost exclusively on my work laptop, and my screens strange default resolution dosen't seem to be natively supported. Every time I boot, I always need to enter cheatcodes to change to the proper resolution of 1400x1050, and to set vsync to 60.

    How can I ensure that these two codes are set as defaults, so that I don't need to enter them every time?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    I think you can put your two codes in /boot/grub/menu.lst under
    "kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-kanotix-11 root=/dev/hda1 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce screen=1400x1050 vsync=60 " as this exemple shows, but I am not sure...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    I assume you run Knoppix from CD, so you cannot simply edit the contents of menu.lst because the file is on CD and read only.

    Normally, you would extract the ISO from the CD and modify the contents of the ISO with an ISO editor. But there is also a "dirty" way that I used to create a Kanotix CD with default cheat codes "myconf=scan home=scan vsync=70": I extracted the ISO from the CD using "cp" (cp /dev/cdrom/ [destination] kanotix.iso). Then I opened kanotix.iso with a hex editor, searched for menu.lst (which, fortunately, is not integrated into the compressed Kanotix image) and edited the line of commands that show up on the boot screen. Be careful, though, because you must neither overwrite important lines nor change the file size of menu.lst. When you're done editing kanotix.iso, burn it on CD.

    Note: For Knoppix, it's isolinux.cfg that must be edited. But it's the same mechanism.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    ockham23 last comment is very correct.
    Just search the forums for isolinux.cfg.
    I have posted many times on how to permanently turn on cheat codes in the isolinux.cfg file.

Similar Threads

  1. Cheat codes
    By RoyalMail in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 04:00 PM
  2. Setting cheat codes on the fly?
    By skohrs in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2006, 10:15 PM
  3. Cheat Codes für HDD Installation.
    By ARAN in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 02:51 AM
  4. Cheat codes
    By lbenn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 03:13 PM
  5. customized cheat codes
    By Harry Kuhman in forum Ideas
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 10:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$477.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 32GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 32GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$538.99



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 2TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 2TB SATA HDD

$525.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 64GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD picture

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 64GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD

$654.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99