-
PXE booting Knoppix - not from knoppix server
HI –
I already have PXE boot working on our network. Is it possible to easily PXE boot knoppix not using a server running knoppix? I essentially want to boot the knoppix cd over the network. Is there documentation somewhere for achieving this?
Thanks,
Joe
-
Senior Member
registered user
This is just something that I came up with on a rainy afternoon: I have a server, running Windows XP, and a router in my LAN. On the server, I installed a trial version of VMWare Workstation for Windows to create a virtual PC running Knoppix 3.8 from CD (actually, it was the CD image - even the disk drives are virtual). After running the terminal server script from within my virtual Knoppix server, I connected another PC to the network and had it boot over the network. Et voila: I had a diskless client running Knoppix in no time. There was no conflict assigning IP addresses because the terminal server script by default assigns IP addresses beginning at 192.168.0.200.
To push things a little a further, I added user "diskless01" to my virtual Knoppix server, started ssh, and was able to access files on the virtual Knoppix server by typing "fish://192.168.0.5" in Konqueror on the diskless client. Of course, it was also possible to see Windows shares on the server through LinNeighborhood.
Similar Threads
-
By frist in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM
-
By Briton in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-31-2005, 10:08 PM
-
By lewisp in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-22-2005, 02:22 PM
-
By divinehawk in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-27-2005, 08:08 PM
-
By Alex Cavnar, aka alc6379 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-10-2003, 07:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99