Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Permission problem running a compiled C++ program

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    Permission problem running a compiled C++ program

    I boot with Knoppix 3.7 and am still learning Linux. I need to clone a hard drive with lots of errors (dd can't handle it). I have obtained the source for GNU ddrescue (not to be confused with dd_rescue, written by Kurt Garloff), written in C++ by Antonio Diaz. http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

    I had no problems unzipping and untarring the source files, and I was able to './configure' and then 'make' it (in the same directory on my USB flash drive where the source code is stored).

    But now I'm having trouble getting ddrescue to run. If I run it from 'Konsole' terminal with this invocation

    ddrescue /dev/hdc /dev/hdb testlog

    I get the following error: "ddrescue: cannot open input file: permission denied". I think this is because accessing a full drive like hdb or hdc (rather than a partition like hdb1 or hdc2) can only be done from Root.

    But when I launch a 'Terminal as Root' window (logging in as root with a password that I set myself) and navigate (cd) to the correct folder with the compiled folder, I am unable to invoke ddrescue...

    root@ttyp1[ddrescue-1.0]# ddrescue /dev/hdc /dev/hdb testlog
    bash: ddrescue: command not found

    What am I doing wrong? Is there another shell that I should be using?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    Root probably (and wisely!) does not have the current directory (.) in her PATH. Try ./ddrescue (that's dot-slash)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2

    ./ worked

    THANKS!! Using ./ddrescue worked just fine, although I don't really understand why...

    I thought that the . (dot) specifies current directory, so ./ddrescue is telling the system to run ddrescue from a subdirectory of the current directory that I'm in?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    Yes, "." does mean the current directory. When you use a command that is not in a directory mentioned in PATH
    (type "echo $PATH" to see what's in there), then everything you type up to the last "/" is the path to the executable,
    the rest is the name of the executable itself. Try playing with the commands "basename" and "dirname".

    HTH

Similar Threads

  1. Running a program
    By Rehtwol in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 04:43 AM
  2. Need a pre-compiled FTP program or "make install"
    By k00ld00d in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 02:14 AM
  3. Running compiled files
    By kepler in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 01:30 PM
  4. Running the program
    By oahuyahoo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 12:22 PM
  5. Program use and permission problems on hd install
    By chook in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 06:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD

$635.00



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00