Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Has Anyone Connected to Internet Wirelessly via USB Device?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lewisville, Texas
    Posts
    11

    Has Anyone Connected to Internet Wirelessly via USB Device?

    I wonder if anyone has been able to connect to the Internet with KNOPPIX v. 3.7 using a USB wireless connection. If you have, could you give us a brief rundown on what you had to do? I can't get it to detect my wireless connection although it works fine in Windows (or I wouldn't be able to send this message). I just wonder if this is an essentially impossible task for newbies.

    Thank you for your comments

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I never got any of my wireless cards to be detected by any Knoppix up to 3.7. Knoppix 3.8 did detect my Belkin 802.11b card and I could use it just fine, although it would still not detect my Dlink 802.11b cards.

    This is not a Knoppix or Linux problem, as such. It's an issue of the card and chip makers not releasing specs for the hardware so that Linux programmers can write drivers for them, There are some cards out there that have good Linux support (although they never seem to be sold at my local store and they never seem to be inexpensive when I find them mail order). And their is another approach that some people have gotten to work - a hack that runs the card with the Windows drivers for it under Linux with software called NdisWrapper.

    Also, expect better results if you are trying to get a simple 802.11b PCI or PCMCIA card working than if you are trying to get an 802.11g or one of the newer faster cards that are targeted at standards that don't even exist yet, or if you are using a USB wireless device. Sorry, but adding the USB interface just adds an extra level of complexity to the problem.

    You might want to post exactly what hardware you are using so that if anyone else has it working they can tell you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lewisville, Texas
    Posts
    11

    My Device

    Harry,

    Good idea. I have a NETGEAR WG121 USB connection. It's an 802.11g connection. Maybe someone has had some experience with this device.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15
    I am posting this using 3.7 installed to h/d, connecting with a dwl-122 usb adapter. I used wlanctl-ng to set up the card. Three commands from a root console: wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable, wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid='' authtype=opensystem, pump -i wlan0.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5
    I typed in the string
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
    I get the message "command not found"...Any clues?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir
    I am posting this using 3.7 installed to h/d, connecting with a dwl-122 usb adapter. I used wlanctl-ng to set up the card. Three commands from a root console: wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable, wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid='' authtype=opensystem, pump -i wlan0.
    i did what u said to and it worked when i unlocked my network. where would i put my 128bit encryption code in this line of code u posted?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15
    Sumithar, what kernel are you using? I had to use the 2.4 kernel to get this to work . Never had any luck with 2.6. I am sorry scoldingice I don't know anything about encryption. I live in the country and don't feel a need for it YET.

Similar Threads

  1. How To Get Connected On The Internet
    By gccradioscience in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 01:24 AM
  2. not connected to internet
    By billabill in forum Networking
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-29-2006, 01:39 AM
  3. Getting connected to internet not as root
    By th3b0d0mr3ap3r in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 04:07 AM
  4. getting connected to the internet, ARRRGH!!!!!!!
    By rusty101 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 08:56 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2003, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$799.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00