-
Mom's Knoppix - stop Konqueror at KDE startup
I'm rebuilding my mother-in laws pc for the 5th time and decided to try a dual-boot win2k/knoppix.37 using a slightly custom version of 'windows partition PMI' from the wiki here. (Knoppix default 3.7/2.6 kernel)
I've used knoppix to rescue a few machines and have had a dual-boot with win2k on my laptop since 3.6.
Since my MIL still can't grasp the concept that 'e' isn't the internet and when to click/dclick, Setting up a damn-near-bulletproof Knoppix install just for 'internet' and email (web based) presents little risk for her.
If you screw it up, just reboot. 
Knoppix is the closest thing to 'appliance desktop computing' I can think of.
You don't NEED to have a clue to use Linux, stump stupid works too. 
I know how to configure most of the critical settings (network,etc), I've setup and used at least 6 distro's over the past few years, I have a Mandrake 10.1 server, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to stop from loading Konqueror - Knoppix Info at KDE startup in Knoppix!?
Am I really that newbie or did Knoppix put the startup somewhere odd?
-
Senior Member
registered user
If the MIL only uses a webbrowser, then there is something you might be interested in. Not a Knoppix derivative but based on Morphix.
http://blogs.livecd.net/www/index.php has links to two LiveCDs. One is designed to be a internet cafe web kiosk OS with the ability to surf normally with FireFox. The other is designed to a complete locked down kiosk (not permitted to surf normally) kiosk OS with FireFox. Ghandalfar is one of the main developers that makes the LiveKiosk at livecd.net.
stop from loading Konqueror - Knoppix Info at KDE startup in Knoppix!?
It is probably being called by a script. Look for a file on the desktop or in /home/knoppix/Desktop/. It should be named KNOPPIX.desktop. It is the link that makes Konqueror do the welcome html. Try renaming the KNOPPIX.desktop file to prevent it from loading it.
-
stop from loading Konqueror - Knoppix Info at KDE startup in Knoppix!?
It is probably being called by a script. Look for a file on the desktop or in /home/knoppix/Desktop/. It should be named KNOPPIX.desktop. It is the link that makes Konqueror do the welcome html. Try renaming the KNOPPIX.desktop file to prevent it from loading it.[/quote]
I renamed KNOPPIX.Desktop to KNOPPIX.old and saved Knoppix configuration (including desktop files) and rebooted. Knoppix added the KNOPPIX.Desktop files back. Now I have KNOPPIX.old AND KNOPPIX.Desktop on my desktop.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The script is pulling all the files from /etc/skel. As root user, rename/move/delete /etc/skel/Desktop/KNOPPIX.desktop
-
Interestingly, I cannot find the KNOPPIX.Desktop file . (Knoppix 3.7)
/etc/skel is a symlink to /KNOPPIX/etc/skel and /KNOPPIX/etc/skel/Desktop only contains Floppy and trash.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry. It got both of us confused. Normally, all the user files are pulled from /etc/skel but in this case it is anything but normal. There is a script at /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and it controls much of how Knoppix loads the user's $HOME directory and how KDE is run.
At line 167, there is a IF sh shell script block that defines the KNOPPIX.desktop file. You should be able to comment it all out.
Code:
167 if [ -e "$INDEXFILE" ]; then
168 cat >> $HOME/Desktop/KNOPPIX.desktop <<EOF
169 [Desktop Entry]
170 Name=KNOPPIX
171 # Exec=kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing $INDEXFILE
172 Exec=konqueror --geometry 850x600+85+70 file:$INDEXFILE
173 Type=Application
174 Icon=html
175 Terminal=0
176 EOF
177 ln $HOME/Desktop/KNOPPIX.desktop $HOME/.kde/Autostart/showindex.desktop
178 fi
-
Thanks.
Unfortuantely /KNOPPIX is read-only.
I haven't yet found a way to mount it RW.
-
I still haven't found a way to save the changes.
For clarity, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession is a symlink to /KNOPPIX/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and is all read-only.
I'll post back if I find a way to do it.
Similar Threads
-
By dlr1661 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
-
By RobertLichen444 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-06-2006, 07:46 AM
-
By medwards67 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-20-2004, 03:36 PM
-
By rec9140 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-29-2003, 04:12 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$20.70

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99