Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Start X11...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3

    Start X11...

    I am booting Knoppx off of a Live CD on a Compaq Presario 2200 laptop. Everything is well until Knoppix tries to start "X11". The entire process just freezes. I can hit enter and get a prompt.

    I have seen a thread naming this as a GUI intialization problem, but posed no solution. Is there a way to fix this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware & getting it wrong. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes, such as:
    knoppix xmodule=vesa screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60

    or

    knoppix screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=85

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't have an exact fix, but I suggest following the documentation link near the top of this page and reading the cheat codes section of the wiki. Try experimenting with different codes including noscsi and acpi=off. Likely one or (unfortunately) a combination of codes may be needed.

    Also, you didn't say which version of the Knoppix CD you were trying tp boot. Knowing that may help others give advice on what codes to try, for example some systems needed nodma on versions 3.6 thru 3.7, but it became the default again on 3.8 so was no longer needed. The two codes I gave above used together let me boot my HP in versions 3.4 to 3.7 but were not needed with 3.8.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3
    I am attempting to boot 3.8.1. The copy matches the md5 checksum.

    I tried the cheat codes you mentioned above to no avail. Im going to play around with some others.

    The copy works fine on my desktop with a PCI video card.

Similar Threads

  1. Need help to start
    By bibear in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 06:38 PM
  2. How do I start nfs?
    By pelican in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:07 PM
  3. Can't Start X11?
    By fasttech in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:02 AM
  4. Where do I start??
    By Rhymer in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 10:05 PM
  5. KDE no start
    By timmd in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SuperMicro SYS-5019D-4C-FN8TP 1U Server Used (No RAM, No Storage) picture

SuperMicro SYS-5019D-4C-FN8TP 1U Server Used (No RAM, No Storage)

$350.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS picture

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS

$179.85