Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. I have 1 hard drive that's 80GB. That 80 GB drive has 3 partitions. The first partition is 7GB and has windows xp installed on it. The second partition is 40GB and has programs installed on it. The third partition is the rest of the space with miscellaneous stuff stored on it.

I want to boot into Knoppix with the live CD from the book so I can copy the windows partition into a backup directory on the second partition. I then want to burn that backup of the windows partition in case I ever need to reinstall windows again. I can then just copy the partition back over and not have to sit through a long windows install.

I can't boot into windows and copy that partition because certain files will still be in use while windows is running making it almost impossible to copy the windows directory.

So my solution was to follow the instructions in the book by booting into Knoppix and using captive to allow me to write to an NTFS drive and the dd command to copy the whole windows partition.

Anyone have any ideas why captive is acting weird and dd is only copying 400MB? I would greatly appreciate the help.