Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Booting 4.0 without a DVD drive?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16

    Booting 4.0 without a DVD drive?

    I've got a little problem.
    I've found out that the old DVD-ROM drive in my server doesn't actually want to read DVDs anymore... or at least, it doesn't want to read the Knoppix DVD I burnt. I'm not quite sure what's wrong with the DVD (since my burner can read it, but at least two other regular drives can't), but I'm thinking that the DVD-ROM would probably not read a proper DVD anyway.

    So I've got a few questions, which hopefully haven't been asked already (I didn't see them in searches):
    - Would it be possible to take the images out of the DVD ISO, and burn it as a CD, then boot off the harddrive? (Where I prefer to keep the images anyway, since I have the space.)
    - Failing this, can a previous version (say, 3.8/3.9) boot a 4.0 image? I read/heard somewhere that this isn't possible, but I'm hoping some method is.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Here is where you might want to start http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=88856#88856

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16
    Thanks! That does help quite a bit.
    Although in the previous post, when I was saying "images", I should be been saying "loopback files".

    I need to write to the partition that current has the loopback file, though -- and it's read-only.
    Is it safe to remount /cdrom, or should I init 2 first, or...?

    Code:
    /dev/hda5 on /cdrom type ext2 (ro)

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16
    Nevermind, I solved it without having to remount.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from a USB key to a USB Hard drive - What the???
    By andrewbob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 02:29 PM
  2. Booting Knoppix off a USB Drive
    By goodguy23 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM
  3. booting from ISO on hard drive
    By gonzofonts in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 03:49 AM
  4. Booting from a usb 2.0 cd-rw drive?
    By Islington in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:36 PM
  5. Booting from the CD-ROM drive
    By apu222 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2002, 05:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573) picture

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)

$149.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$219.99



Cisco NCS-57C3-MOD-SYS NCS 57C3 Base Chassis Grade A - Dual 1600w Powers picture

Cisco NCS-57C3-MOD-SYS NCS 57C3 Base Chassis Grade A - Dual 1600w Powers

$13000.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99