Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Recommend PCI Modem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11

    Recommend PCI Modem

    Could someone recommend a low-priced PCI dialup modem which works under knoppix?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    For the most part cheap pci modems are software modems (winmodems) and are difficult to get to work under knoppix. It is probably better to shell out the extra bucks for a controller based modem, either pci or better yet external (serial).

    If you want a couple of good resources look at these:

    http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html

    http://linmodems.org

    Controller based external modems will set you back some:

    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...%20modem&hl=en

    Good luck

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    http://www.mepislovers.org/modules/n...forumpost38986
    - this is no-name Lucent / Agere which has integrated drivers in Mepis and works out of the box, in Live mode and in hdd installed, NO DRIVERS, NO NOTHING, ONLY your user name, password and tel.number of ISP and in Kanotix too, but you must do simple command, nothing serios. Smart Link modems has support too, I am sure for Kanotix, but not 100% for Mepis. Kanotix is recomended for Knoppix user, but for hdd installation, so it is almoust the same thing.

    Lucent + Mepis is my personal experience, I was spechless when it starts dialing in Live mode!!!

    Look what you need to do in Kanotix for Smart Link modem:

    su
    /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart
    and than /dev/modem

    very simple ...

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Recommend PCI Modem

    Quote Originally Posted by PlantPerson
    Could someone recommend a low-priced PCI dialup modem which works under knoppix?
    Such devices are getting harder and harder to find. Actiontec used to majke some very good internal PCI modems that were true modems (not Winmodems), but I just checked their site to see if any were currently available and it looks like they may be out of the dial-up modem business entirely. I suspect that many others are too, with almost any internal card you find now being an inexpensive Winmodem without Linux suport. I expect finding anything new is going to be difficult and expensive.

    Likely a lot of old dirt cheap used computers out there will have a viable modem in them, but finding one may be a problem, at least in kowing if that $5 box has a winmodem or a real modem in it before you buy it. The price will go up sharply if you go to a used computer store or the electronic bay of thieves and buy just the modem, and then you are still taking chances on the quality.

    External modems may be your best choice, but will also be expensive. You might want to ask yourself how much you are willing to pay to stay in the 20th century. At least in my area, the lowest speed form of DSL has now come down in price to very close to what I used to pay for dial-up service, and although it's sold as DSL lite, it's much much faster that dial-up ever was. Before I shelled out a lot for an old technology modem that had limited usefulness, I would certainly consider moving to newer technology. Of course, I understand that there may be some unique applications where dial-up is still viable, but there are reasons why it's getting harder and harder to find and the prices are climbing back up.

    I would suggest that you at least shop around for high speed service and see what is available from DSL or cable, and look into getting a high speed modem with an ethernet connection (do not accept a USB based device). And if the high speed modem doesn't include a built-in router, buy an inexpensive one of those too (don't go high speed without one), often $10 or less after rebate.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11
    Thanks for your help guys.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Texada Is. BC Canada
    Posts
    18
    Before I shelled out a lot for an old technology modem that had limited usefulness, I would certainly consider moving to newer technology
    I liked the response from "tdjokic" much better than a reply that everybody just ought to get hi-speed
    internet service. Guess what? -- It isn't even available in some areas (like mine). Everybody doesn't
    live in the city -- heck I like some space around me

    My experience with SmartLink has been very positive. I have 2 serial external modems, but was very
    tired of switching cables everytime I switched computers. External modems are expensive too. My $10
    SmartLink internal modems work every bit as good. They are "LinModems" too....

    Thanks tdjokic for the easy way to use SmartLink in Kanotix. My wife uses Linspire and SmartLink is just
    there "live" or installed. Haven't tried a Lucent / Agere internal modem yet, but I will.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by John_C
    Before I shelled out a lot for an old technology modem that had limited usefulness, I would certainly consider moving to newer technology
    I liked the response from "tdjokic" much better than a reply that everybody just ought to get hi-speed
    internet service. Guess what? -- It isn't even available in some areas (like mine). Everybody doesn't
    live in the city -- heck I like some space around me
    Since you quoted me (without the name) I would just like to say that I didn't reply "that everybody just ought to get high speed Internet". I even looked to see where the original post came from and weighed my response carefully. If you want to assume the response I gave to someone else applies to you also, or everybody, that's not correct. And I did even try to find a dial-up non-win modem from a maker I used to find reasonably priced and pretty reliable. But I couldn't and offered what I had learned. That in no way prevented any others from finding what I could not and posting it. But I'll still stick by my advice of simply looking at all of ones options before too quickly shelling a lot of money for last century's technology when it might not be the best choice available.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I got this one from newegg....Hummingbird something...It'll list it as Linux supported...smartlink chipset....get something smartlink based...those are the best for various unices.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    What do you think of this one?
    Please, look at this site:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk80...800d7d91.shtml

    In general, there are 3 types of PCI modems:

    - software, only line interface unit (LIU), only "1" chip
    - controllerless, LIU + DSP (digital signal processor), "2" chips
    - hardware, LIU + DSP + control processor, "3" chips (usually there are a bit more chips, but here are mentioned main chips)

    As Harry said, hardware modems are getting harder and harder to find and they are very expensive too. Some software modems don't work in Linux. At the and, controllerless are the best we have.

    Sad thing is, that many manufacturers today call controllerless modems "hadrware" without any shame or explanation.

    Your modem seems to me as it is a software modem - very few chips. I don't have personal experience with SmartLink chipset modems, so I can't say anything for sure. Maybe John_C can help us? Are there any controllerless SmartLink modems?[/quote]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. please recommend a knoppix minimal
    By wired in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2006, 06:27 AM
  2. Anyone recommend modem + soundcard Knoppix 4.02 will detect?
    By drakegta in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 08:55 PM
  3. Can anyone recommend a NIC that works every time?
    By tommyrot in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 05:03 AM
  4. Recommend 2.5" USB HD case?
    By arpha in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 02:34 AM
  5. recommend external 56k modem?
    By agency in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2003, 07:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD

$799.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50