Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Download manager

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    40

    Download manager

    I had troubles using KGet and wrote to this forum but got no reply.

    Please recommend me another down load manager suitable for use with Knoppix.

    Thank you and regards.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I usually just use wget. http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/man....html#Examples
    It's a cli app but gets the job done.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    40
    Thank you, Markus.

    I use Knoppix from a CD. Will I have to intall wget on the HD or do I call it from a file when needed?

    I don't happen to know what a "cli app" is.

    Regards.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    CLI means Command Line Interface, and you use it from a console, or konsole as kde calls it. App is short for application. Wget is on the cd, all you need to do is change to a directory that is mounted writable and type without quotes "wget http://some_url or ftp://.....something". If the file is small enough to fit on the ramdisk you can also download it there. Look at the examples in the link I posted, they explain the usage better than I could.
    There are GUI apps as well of course (GUI = Graphical User Interface). I just don't much use them. This is the first link google got me when searching for: linux "download manager"
    http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Soft...ad-Tools/1700/

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    40
    Of course. I have used cli apps in the past at the times of DOS, but perhaps GUI apps are more comfortable to use.

    Anyhow I'll try it out and let you know.

    Thanks again.

    ˇBuena suerte!

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    40
    Dear Markus,

    I seem to be doing OK but I fail to find the way to tell wget where to save the downloads.

    You say:

    all you need to do is change to a directory that is mounted writable
    Presumable this I ought to do from the konsole, and I write after the knoppix prompt, say:
    /mnt/uba1
    It replies:
    bash: /mnt/uba1: is a directory

    So the method used in DOS to place yourself in a directory fails here.

    I have reviewed the manual you recommended but can't find how to tell wget where to save.

    Regards
    JM

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Use cd to change directory. Namely cd /mnt/uba1
    It needs to be mounted writable first of course, for this you can use the desktop icon.
    If it's mounted read only (check by typing mount) you can change to readwrite with sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/uba1 /mnt/uba1

    May I suggest some reading:
    http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~squa...inuxmanual.pdf (don't know why it's called one page manual since it's two pages unless you print double sided )
    http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    40
    Thank you for your help. I'm learning not only wget but linux in general as well.

    It doesn't seem to work either. I get:

    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ cd/mnt/uba1
    bash: cd/mnt/uba1: No such file or directory
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$
    Of course it was mounted and writable. It is a pen drive.

    I still have to study the one page manual. I'll print it to have it handy. A good resource, indeed.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Martínez
    $ cd/mnt/uba1
    There should be whitespace between cd and the path...

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    40
    Now it works!!!!!

    Thank you for your patience, Markus!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Login Manager - How to set?
    By linux_Fred in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 03:23 PM
  2. device manager
    By upnorth in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 02:32 AM
  3. rpm manager
    By alphaepsilonlamda in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 08:55 PM
  4. Which Files Manager do you use?
    By Coume in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 07:35 AM
  5. The baddest download manager in the world.
    By rickenbacherus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 11:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell R740XD All Flash 2U Server Full 24 x U.2 NVME 2x Xeon 6240R 48 CORE HOMELAB picture

Dell R740XD All Flash 2U Server Full 24 x U.2 NVME 2x Xeon 6240R 48 CORE HOMELAB

$849.95



HP ProLiant DL360 Gen 11 - Xeon Gold 5th Gen - 192 GB DDR5 ECC - 2x 240 GB SSD picture

HP ProLiant DL360 Gen 11 - Xeon Gold 5th Gen - 192 GB DDR5 ECC - 2x 240 GB SSD

$17000.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$68.00



Windows Server 2025 Standardâś” 24-COREâś” 10 CALsâś” 50 RDSâś” Remote Desktop EP2-25205 picture

Windows Server 2025 Standardâś” 24-COREâś” 10 CALsâś” 50 RDSâś” Remote Desktop EP2-25205

$317.56