Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Monitor refresh rate problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1

    Monitor refresh rate problems

    Computer:
    HP Pavilion a720n
    Athlon XP+ 2.2Ghz
    448MB RAM (512; but onboard video takes 64MB)

    Monitor:
    HP mx703

    Issue:
    No matter whether I specify 70 or 80Hz with vsync or xvrefresh the monitor stays at a annoying 60Hz.

    Anybody know what I can do?

    EDIT: Things like "Screen resize & rotate" it says it's set to "85Hz" but again the monitor is at 60Hz. The monitor's information menu says it's set to 60Hz.
    Thanks in Advance!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5
    I have the same problem with a Generic Monitor (Beltron), an old videocard based on SiS 6326

    0000:02:07.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 86C326 5598/6326 (rev 0b) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS6326 GUI Accelerator
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 32
    Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=8M]
    Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    I/O ports at 9000 [size=128]
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 1

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    You might try using a "noddc" cheatcode. I'm not sure if it works well in Knoppix, but it worked with other distros with mixed results, for similar issues.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5
    Ok thanxs, I will try it.
    This cheatcode it's not listed in the Knoppix list. Why is that?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    This cheatcode it's not listed in the Knoppix list. Why is that?
    I'm not sure if it is supported in Knoppix. As I had explained, It was useful while using a different distro, but since they are similar, it might work with Knoppix. It did work for one of the earlier versions of Knoppix, so it might still be useful there. I'm not sure why it would not be listed. Could very well be that it has just been removed or forgotten about.

    I'm not sure it will work for you, but it did fix a similar problem for me a while back. It has to do with the "Plug and Pray" detection standard for monitors. Info from Microsoft is available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q162737/ I am just guessing that your monitor is being set at some lower default values because it is not being correctly set/recognized by Knoppix. Disabling the DDC detection for the monitor should allow you to specify the parameters as you had attempted to do.

    Good Luck! Let me know how you make out!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5
    The noddc cheatcode it seems not working...
    If I discover anything else I post it here.
    Thanxs for the help.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    I'm sorry that the "knoppix noddc" cheatcode did not help. It was just a stab in the dark since it sounded similar to something I encountered before. If I think of, or come accross anything else I will be sure to post it for you.

    Maybe someone with more expertise might have some other suggestions for you to try from here.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Warsaw Poland
    Posts
    2

    Setting refresh rate

    Description of the problem:

    I have 3.9 v. installed on the HDD. I still haven't managed to install nVidia drivers so it has something to do with the default one. Everything was running fine but then, after some tinkering with completely different problem I had discovered the after restart the system sets resolution to 1024/786 (as it should) and refresh rate to mysterious 76 MHz. Obviously my hardware doesn't support it so it switches to 60 MHz.
    I tried running dxconfig. It helped though the color depth was improper this time (too low). The real problem is that after restart, I again have 60 MHz refresh rate <doh!>. It looks as if some detection system overrides any settings I commit. At least graphics configuration files in /etc/something... are being updated during restart. Any advice?

Similar Threads

  1. Monitor refresh rate problem
    By mduduzi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 04:48 PM
  2. refresh rate
    By pkg in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 05:56 PM
  3. Monitor refresh rate
    By ZeroKun in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 04:54 PM
  4. refresh rate
    By jeanthibca in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
  5. Refresh rate
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00