-
Wireless Internet Connection (sorry. really newbie qustion)
Hi. I am curently using WUSB11 v26 by Linksys and Knoppix version 3.9 and the system does not seem to be able to detect any wireless connection at all. There are 2 topics on this, but I could not find /etc/networking/interfaces as they stated. Please help me.
Thanks for your time.
-
Patch paths.
Ok, I got this patch for my WUSB11v26 and I followed the instructions as give by the website:
cd to /usr/src/linux -2.6.x/ and then run gzip -cd (file path here)/patch-atmel_reset.gz | patch -p/
but I constantly receive an error that says that gzip -cd (file path here)/patch-atmel_reset.gz | patch -p/
is not a valid file path and that "patch: **** strip count/ is not a number"
Please tell me where I have gone wrong.
Thanks for your time.
P.S. I copied the file path from the Konqueror browser when I went to the patch file via the hard disk partition shortcut on the desktop.
-
Try Kanotix, its modified Knoppix
I have a Linksys WUSB 11 v2.6 also and I found a modified german Knoppix version called Kanotix and it has been the only live version of linux to detect my Linksys WUSB 11 2.6.
http://www.kanotix.org
There is a trick to it though and here it is. Go the the launch menu click on the logo with the fish in the circle and then click on networking and choose netcard configuration it will ask you if you want to use DHCP say no and it will allow you to enter it manually. You have to enter in the IP address of the router ur connecting to, the subnet mask, and im not sure if you have encryption, but if you u have to enter ur ESSID and encryption key. So basically the only things i entered or changed were the IP address, the subnet mask, the default gateway which is the same as my IP address, the ESSID and the encryption code. I just the other setting alone or blank.
Ok, now u have to go back to netcard config, choose wlan0 and it will ask if you want to use DHCP and this time you want to say yes. Now you will be able to use the internet.
Now if do a hard drive install of Kanotix, there is something you have to enter in the terminal so your wireless setting will stay permanent, because otherwise you will have to enter it in each time you start up. Here is the link for that.
http://forum.kanotix.net/viewtopic.p...098&highlight=
The only other version of Linux that detect my Linksys WUSB11 Linksys v2.6 without any tweaking or compiling is Xandros 3.02 OCE.
The lastest version of Kanotix has the drivers available and so do the prior 2 releases.
-
is there a way that it can be done without the other version. i am installing mandriva linux soon but i am not going to do it till i understand how to get on my network. i have same card as him. what is the surefire way of doing it, i dont care if it takes a little while i just want it to work. thanks for the help.
-
Thanks, chowyunpat
Thanks man. I think I will finally be able to get the internet working.
Similar Threads
-
By wicky615 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-23-2006, 04:41 AM
-
By zx2max in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:42 PM
-
By Josh in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-24-2005, 05:17 AM
-
By jcalvert in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 12:13 PM
-
By Sance in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00