Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: write permissions for ext3 hdd partition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Czech republic
    Posts
    1

    write permissions for ext3 hdd partition

    Hi.

    I would like to use Knoppix 3.9 without installing at home, run it from live CD. I want to have some space where I can save created documents or settings, so I divided the second HDD I have in Win XP, created primary partition with NTFS and extended partition without logicla disc. In Knoppix I used QTPart, created ext3 partition in that extended partition and formated it. Knoppix now can see it, it is mounted as /mnt/hdb5, I can write there as root but I've got big problems with permissions for other users - when I set permissions for group and others to rw (right click on icon of this disk on desktop, properties, perimissions), it doesn't work, it remains writable only for root. When I look at permissions from console (ls -l) and directory /mnt/hdb5 has write permissions only for root despite what I do with permission settings on desktop icon.

    Trying to use chmod command has no effect.

    What do I do wrong ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    What do I do wrong ?
    Difficult to say without seeing it in front of me. You might try chown (to change the ownership) or chmod 777 /mnt/hdb5.

Similar Threads

  1. Write permissions on root partition
    By cobra_brad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 02:49 AM
  2. ext3 Partition verkleinern
    By Hafner in forum German Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
  3. USB Write Permissions
    By Conchial in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 06:24 PM
  4. Boot with CD -> can't write to existing ext3 HD-partition
    By leoneill in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 10:48 AM
  5. Accessing an ext3 partition
    By DrMartinus in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 05:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00