Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Local file?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    40

    Local file?

    What is a local file?

    Say I save on disk a page that I have browsed with Konqueror. If I later try to view this page from the file with Konqueror, I'm advised that it accepts only local files, and I can't open it.

    How do I save a page to be recognized as a local file?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Are you trying to browse offline? Forget it, either firefox and konqueror makes it in a very crappy way. I would consider this maybe the only thing that windows IE make better than linux browsers

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    While I'm not advocating off-line browsing, you can certainly save html files and then view them with just about any browser under Knoppix (assuming, of course, that you are not trying to save to an NTFS partition with Linux). The initial html pages that show in Konqueror are one clear example of this, they can be found on the Knoppix CD or DVD in the KNOPPIX directory. I'm unclear on what your "local file" error is.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    40
    I found out now that if I copy the html file to the desktop, then Konqueror opens it easily.

    So the position is that Konqueror can't open a file it created itself unless it is copied into the desktop. This looks as a weak point to me.

    I save the files into windows partitions. This ability is a very strong point to me.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Martínez
    So the position is that Konqueror can't open a file it created itself unless it is copied into the desktop. This looks as a weak point to me.

    I save the files into windows partitions. This ability is a very strong point to me.
    As far as I know, Konqueror can open a file that it saves just fine. I just don't recommend off-line browsing of full websites, expecting link and images and the rest to be saved properly. But download a html file, save it, open it later, if there is a problem I'm unaware of it.

    I hope when you save your html to "windows partitions" that either you are running Windows at that moment or they are FAT partitions, Never write to NTFS partitions with Knoppix.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    40
    Harry Kuhman said:
    As far as I know, Konqueror can open a file that it saves just fine. I just don't recommend off-line browsing of full websites, expecting link and images and the rest to be saved properly. But download a html file, save it, open it later, if there is a problem I'm unaware of it.
    I'm not aiming at off-line browsing. I just saved a single html file, namely the Wget Manual, that I need for reference, and could not open it with Konqueror unless I copy it to the desktop. Does it make it a "local file"? Am I doing something wrong?

    He further said:
    I hope when you save your html to "windows partitions" that either you are running Windows at that moment or they are FAT partitions, Never write to NTFS partitions with Knoppix.
    They are FAT partitions. I have no NTFS partitions as I mistrust this system. I'm not aware about the simultaneous use of Windows and Knoppix. If this is possible I certainly would like to know how it is done.
    I find it a very strong feature of Knoppix that it understands Windows files and can write in Windows partitions. I'm trying to migrate away from Windows and Knoppix looks as a good prospect for this purpose.
    But I have almost a lifetime's amount of material in Windows format and can't convert everything (which I suppose is possible).

    Thank you and regards.

Similar Threads

  1. The local/remote file dichotomy.
    By Jorge Martínez in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 09:07 PM
  2. Local file difficulty to burn the DVD
    By Jorge Martínez in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 08:51 PM
  3. LOcal FTP for installing and apt
    By Harry Kuhman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 05:09 AM
  4. rc.local
    By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:59 PM
  5. access to local file system
    By warwick in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2003, 02:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair picture

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair

$48.99



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00