-
Help copying files on NTFS drive
I know that file writting is not recommended on a NTFS drive, but I was wondering if I would be able to do this.
Recently my registry within Windows XP Professional SP2 became corrupted which would not allow me to boot into Windows at all. It also prevents me from being able to access the Recovery Console and from formatting my drive and re-installing Windows through the Windows XP CD installer. Now without having to format my drive I'd like to be able to repair my registry. I read up on how to do so by copying the registry snapshots from an older System Restore point.
My problem is I'm not sure if Knoppix would allow me to do this since it is a NTFS partition. I tried to enable writing to the disk by going to the properties of the drive and enabling read/write for all users as well as unchecked the read only box in the next tab. Doing so I still cannot edit the files on this drive at all.
What I want to know for sure is would copying files that are already on the drive (the backed up registry files) to another part of the drive (the config folder in system32) corrupt those files? And if not, then what am I doing wrong to enable file writing in Knoppix.
I'm using version 3.9.2 of Knoppix by the way, if that helps at all.
Similar Threads
-
By tdeshler in forum Laptops
Replies: 13
Last Post: 01-14-2008, 01:57 AM
-
By Kehart25 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-03-2006, 06:19 PM
-
By HappyDays in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-26-2005, 06:29 AM
-
By hebo in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 12:22 PM
-
By DukeNukemPT in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

2‑Pack SFP+ 10G BiDi BX‑U/BX‑D 1270/1330nm 10km | Cisco Compatible | ALVIRON
$48.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99