Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 4.02 CD install problem

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74

    4.02 CD install problem

    I just downloaded the long waited 4.02 CD version, but I can't install it to HD, it said my HD has a strange geometry ! and then I try another new 20G HD, but it said I don't have 2G space, and force me to repartition it. I don't know how to use that s/w, I try to delete the partition and format it, restart the HD install again, but the same problem. I don't have this problem on the 3.9. I then use the cd test option to test my download, but nothing happened or it takes too long time to complete, can someone tell me what went wrong ?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: 4.02 CD install problem

    Quote Originally Posted by lotech
    ..... I then use the cd test option to test my download, but nothing happened or it takes too long time ....
    testcd doesn't check your download. The md5 check checks your download. testcd tests your cd after it is burnt, but doesn't check everything. If you can't get testcd to even run then you really need to do what you should have down before, do the md5 test. See the downloading faq for details; follow the documentation link near the top of this page to find that.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    So what does the testcd do, I assume it will test the files integrity, I will try to install to another PC to see what comes.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech
    So what does the testcd do, I assume it will test the files integrity, I will try to install to another PC to see what comes.
    testcd does what I said it does. Good idea, keep trying to install to different systems rather than take two minutes to learn how to do the proper test.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    Just tested on another PC but the same problem, I guess I've a bad download or burn.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech
    Just tested on another PC but the same problem, I guess I've a bad download or burn.
    well, that's the perfect thing to do, guess and assume. If only there were some very simple way to test the download to be sure if it was good or not........

    Or even some download technique other than the mirrors that didn't corrupt the download frequently .....

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    Burning speed also a problem, burning at lower speed is more reliable......

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech
    Burning speed also a problem, burning at lower speed is more reliable......
    yup, that is clearly covered in the Downloading FAQ I tried to get you to read. But if you suspect you may have a bad download, burning speed is not the way to try to address or determine that.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    74
    I find another post regarding partition the HD, I will try that before I try another download, but as far as I remember I haven't done any manual partitioning while install the 3.9, everything was so automatic, is the install script changed ?

Similar Threads

  1. HD DVD-install problem: LILO refuses to install
    By fadeh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
  2. hdd install problem - please help
    By vgramanathan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 03:17 PM
  3. Problem with HDD install
    By gravity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 04:32 PM
  4. Another HD install problem
    By foraker_p in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 12:54 AM
  5. usb problem on hd install
    By gilljohn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Altair MITS 8800 Static Memory Board picture

Altair MITS 8800 Static Memory Board

$99.99



Computer History UNIVAC IBM 650 Apple 1 Macintosh DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Babbage picture

Computer History UNIVAC IBM 650 Apple 1 Macintosh DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Babbage

$38.00



Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Cray-1 UNIVAC 1103 Apple 1 CDC 6600 IBM SAGE picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Cray-1 UNIVAC 1103 Apple 1 CDC 6600 IBM SAGE

$65.00



S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco picture

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco

$89.99



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00