-
pump to get hostname
Hi Everyone
Has anybody had any experience using pump to find out and set the "proper" hostname of a box, based on a DNS server? I am trying to get this to start on boot and its not clear to me if this is even possible. If it isn't, could anybody suggest how to switch to using dhcpc instead to achieve the same?
Thanks in advance
Ben
-
Hi again
In the end I determined that pump could not do this, so I added the line
Code:
hostname $(dig -x `ifconfig $DEVICE | grep "inet addr" |awk '{print $2}' | cut -d : -f2` +short |cut -d . -f1)
to /etc/init.d/knoppix-auoconfig, after netdevice detection has finished. I set $DEVICE to eth0, but in the more general case I think leaving out $DEVICE should work. If a network was unavailble I think that the command would fail, and the hostname would remain Knoppix (as set earlier in the script)
Ben
Similar Threads
-
By paradigm_shift in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-15-2005, 05:36 AM
-
By probono in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-17-2004, 04:52 AM
-
By qman_txun in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 08:22 AM
-
By JockVSJock in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-08-2003, 09:23 AM
-
By probono in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99