Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 800x600 no matter what I try - help please

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    800x600 no matter what I try - help please

    Hi guys,

    My computer seems to be set to start with 800x600 resolution in Knoppix no matter what.

    I have 3.03Ghz 1gigRam P4 with Sony-SDM-S91 monitor and NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT video card. I am using Knoppix 3.9

    Computer boots up to 800x600, Control Center's Display tab only has one setting in Screen Size drop-down menu - "800x600"

    I have tried using
    knoppix xmodule=vesa screen=1280x1024
    and such at boot prompt to no avail

    During the boot up, it detects the monitor properly. It does not detect the video card (Unknown vendor: unknown device)
    It lists its modes during boot up as "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" and one other that I missed I think.

    When i type x86config in command prompt it just sits there silently forever until I Ctrl-C.
    When I try to edit /etc/X11/X86Config-4 or /etc/X11/x86config same thing happens.

    I am neither a Linux hacker nor a graphics guru All of the above I found how to do while trying to researc this online.
    I have searched and searched but everyone just seems to say I should use the screen=1280x1024 cheatcode, which does not seem to work for me. If anyone could help me with this it would be greately appreciated.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    When I try to edit /etc/X11/X86Config-4 or /etc/X11/x86config same thing happens.
    You can't edit some file? What does "same thing happens" mean? You can't put "=" between typing command and editing file.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12
    Does 3.9 have 6600 Gt Drivers? i think there older drivers ay

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    When I try to edit /etc/X11/X86Config-4 or /etc/X11/x86config same thing happens.
    You can't edit some file? What does "same thing happens" mean? You can't put "=" between typing command and editing file.
    i tried

    emacs filepath/filename &
    emacs filepath/filename
    less filepath/filename &
    less filepath/filename

    and so on i think i also tried vim more konqueror and xemacs

    So if 3.9 has older version drivers then my card am I basicly screwed and there is nothing at all I can do?
    I really like Knoppix in almost every aspect so far, and would really like to be able to work in it, but coding in 800x600 is a nightmare. I get like 5 lines per buffer in Emacs and spend more time scrolling then thinking.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    I have just downloaded/burned Knoppix 4.0 and still no luck.

    If I boot up with any of:
    knoppix xmodule=vesa xscreen=1280x1024
    knoppix xmodule=vesa xscreen=1280x960
    knoppix xscreen=1280x1024
    knoppix xscreen=1280x960
    it just starts up with 800x600 resolution which can't be changed

    It now detects the manufacturer as NVidia corp, but still no model number.

    If I try booting up with xmodule=nv it gives our some FATAL messages when trying to start X and then says "No XServer found for your card."

    I am out if ideas

Similar Threads

  1. Can't boot from CD no matter what I do.
    By Tinsby in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 03:06 AM
  2. change to 800x600?
    By pixa in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 06:35 AM
  3. ati molility radeon 9600 only in 800x600 mode
    By mimamo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 10:26 PM
  4. KDE/Koppix 800x600
    By sonic20 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 06:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Batch Of 5 Cisco CVR-QSFP-SFP10G picture

Batch Of 5 Cisco CVR-QSFP-SFP10G

$300.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00