-
Senior Member
registered user
I have been running windows for many years now and would like to convert 2 pc's now running windows xp on my home network to knoppix.
I have a cd i boot from and run it but I would like to remove windows xp compleatly and have knoppix load from the harddrive at start up.
Can this be done?
Sure it can be done. http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo
We more experienced users know that everyone (super knowledgable users & newbies alike) will have problems with PCs & new operating systems. When choosing to use Linux, a decision should be made to minimize the amount of problems & frustrations so that you can have a great Linux experience. Knoppix is a great Linux distro that is designed to be a demo or a test CD. It is very good in that capacity and we can help people quite easily. However Knoppix is not designed to be installed to the HD and this results in technical problems that make it hard for a new user to overcome. Furthermore it is difficult for us experienced users to diagnose & fix. This is why we recommend against a Knoppix HD install.
Finding a personal desktop OS distro is for me like finding a comfortable pair of dress shoes. I've bought $25 shoes that I discovered I hated. I've bought $80 shoes that again I hated. I think it has taken me a cycle of 5 pairs of shoes before I found a brand that is good looking, sturdy and more importantly comfortable to wear. You must discover the comfortable desktop OS for yourself by reading, experiementing & learning.
I recommend that you use Kubuntu (focused on KDE) or Ubuntu (focused on GNOME) or. All are designed to be installed to the HD & to be used by new users or non-technical users. This Thurday October 13, 2005, there will be a new release of Kubuntu/Ubuntu with a release number of 5.10 or you could refer to the codename "Breezy Badger". The CD download will be free ($0.00) and you can even order professional printed CDs for free ($0.00) at https://shipit.ubuntu.com/.
I also recommend Linspire because they present a well rounded, easy to use, good looking Linux distro. You can get it as cheap as $20 or as much as $50.
Similar Threads
-
By A.I.M. in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-25-2005, 08:17 AM
-
By Hunkah in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 02:14 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 11:01 AM
-
By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-26-2004, 12:41 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-12-2004, 12:45 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$165.58

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$166.24

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00