Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Programs on Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX, USA
    Posts
    17

    Programs on Knoppix

    Okay, so there are 900 (?) programs on Knoppix. Hmmm. Being totally unfamiliar with Linux, I have no idea what I might do with these. Even being a fairly advanced MS user, I doubt I've handled 900 programs in the last ten years.

    Has anyone made a list of these programs, put them into categories, and given a brief description? I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask. But has anyone even put together a list of the highlights, the big ones, the commonly useful ones? That would be really a good and useful thing to have.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: Programs on Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by SerenityNet
    [color=darkblue]Okay, so there are 900 (?) programs on Knoppix. Hmmm. Being totally unfamiliar with Linux, I have no idea what I might do with these. Even being a fairly advanced MS user, I doubt I've handled 900 programs in the last ten years.


    NB: I'm not stating you are dumb...

    ..but, this this the difference between 'the Microsoft way' and 'the UNIX way', google for it you will find some hits. On Windows you have lots of similar programs that try to do everything which may be usefull for the task (think MS Office). Some may fail to do it all just right.

    On UNIX there are lots of programs that can do one sole thing (ex: spell check), and try to it good. A program on a higher level (OpenOffice), can then make use of these programs and 'click' them together (spell check, OCR, mail).

    The 'basic' unix programs (bash, cp, ls, chmod, etc.) are already a couple or hundred. The programs with GUI (burner program, OpenOffice, games) are put in the menu of the windowmanager in quite a logic order. You'll find your way.

    If you want an explanation what a command/program/file does you can try "man [program name]", there are also "howto"s written. These can be found on the CD (?) and all over the web.

    Some keywords you can use for google: newbie, howto, linux, unix, KDE

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    slovenia
    Posts
    15
    You can find list of packages here: ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages.txt :)

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Programs
    By jeremy2300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 07:49 PM
  2. Adding Programs To Knoppix
    By deadpan_burke in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:22 AM
  3. running programs in knoppix
    By computerman0216 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 03:35 AM
  4. What programs are on the Knoppix CD
    By hickorynut01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 05:33 PM
  5. What programs come with knoppix?
    By insomica in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested picture

32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested

$435.00



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis Empty Case SYS-7039A-I picture

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis Empty Case SYS-7039A-I

$94.00