View Poll Results: Should jigdo be provided as a download option?
- Voters
- 1. You may not vote on this poll
-
Should jigdo files be made available to ease iso download?
I'm on a DSL line here, so I don't have the fastest connection in the world, but I pay no extra charges by the meg for a month -- I only pay a constant charge to allocate a particular throughput. I was wondering if anyone would appreciate me putting jigdo files for knoppix (and the split files used to generate the jigdo). I have the .jigdo and .template files already and have split the knoppix image into 1MB chunks for them (since 1MB should be small enough for anyone to download in 1 session, I'm guessing nobody should need smaller chunks) and I can easily put them up for http download from my machine, which holds a constant dns address (through ddts.net) despite it's ip shifts. Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone? Fo those who don't know, jigdo is a download tool that grabs all the smaller files that comprise a larger file, and uses them to rebuild a bit-for-bit image of the original file. These smaller files usually make things somewhat less painful for the downloader and for the server (though Knoppix is in the special case where the large file is usually the smallest unit, so the later may not be the situation here) and it uses multiple levels of error correction as the file is downloaded and built -- to the point that if one segment fails, the rest should still be kept and only it should need be redownloaded.
BTW:
jigdo data here.
Similar Threads
-
By ArticWhite in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 03-09-2005, 08:08 AM
-
By robbiw in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-20-2004, 07:17 PM
-
By Debbie Danger in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-11-2004, 05:43 PM
-
By dcljr in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:29 PM
-
By TRANCEMoDe in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-27-2004, 01:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI
$525.00

Micron 64GB 4DRX4 PC4-2400T-LE2-11 MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G3B2MG DDR4 Server RAM KD313
$229.98

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS
$249.98

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99