Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Need help with UnionFS

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43

    Need help with UnionFS

    I need to overlay a touchscreen calibration file from my thumbdrive back into my /etc filestructure upon bootup so the touchscreen is calibrated correctly. UnionFS is the way to do this, yes?

    Problem is, I can't find any decent tutorials or overviews on how to implement a UnionFS with Knoppix. I know "it's included" starting Knoppix 3.8 - but how to use it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Need help with UnionFS

    Quote Originally Posted by davea0511
    I need to overlay a touchscreen calibration file from my thumbdrive back into my /etc filestructure upon bootup so the touchscreen is calibrated correctly. UnionFS is the way to do this, yes?
    I'm not quite clear on what you are trying to do, therefore I don't know if UnionFS will solve your problem. What do you mean by "overlay"? Do you mean "copy"? In other words, can you type this:
    Code:
    cp /path/to/thumbdrive/file /etc/
    Also, what version of Knoppix are you using? Are you booting from the LiveCD or have you installed Knoppix to a HD?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    I remastered a liveCD, and put the liveCD image on a CF card in an IDE adapter (for a silent 100% solid state PC). Even if I had write access to the CF card when it is running, it's a liveCD image so I can't just stick the contents into the /etc directory of the CF card. So the calibration file has to be copied to the /RAMdisk/etc directory upon bootup, overlaying the filestructure that the liveCD is creating.

    Since the touchscreen is initialized during bootup I need to copy the calibration data from my thumbdrive onto the ramdisk at the same time the LiveCD is copying stuff to the RAMdisk.

    Morphix has a cool way of doing it, called "translucency". With morphix, you just put the files you want overlayed into the RAMdisk in an uncompressed folder on the liveCD, which Morphix named "/copy". I wish Knoppix had a similar feature out-of-the-box. It's a sweet way to do things.

    ps - I'm currently using knoppix 3.7, but I can just as easily use the latest knoppix (UnionFS is from 3.8 on up, yes?).

Similar Threads

  1. does knoppix, use aufs? or unionfs? ...still says /UNIONFS..
    By starlyptErin_. in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 10:55 PM
  2. PXE NFS and UNIONFS
    By noobo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 02:41 AM
  3. Root file system links to UNIONFS (e.g. bin -> /UNIONFS/b
    By Jim Tonic in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 04:14 AM
  4. UnionFS
    By lilsirecho in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 06:42 PM
  5. kde and unionfs
    By ethrandil in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 12:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC picture

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC

$27.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99