Hi *,
I am not actually remastering all the Gigabytes of data, just that this is the only knoppix version that recognizes USB/firewire devices without problems showing you the 'pen drive' icon right on the Desktop, as we all love
Now, as part of the preparation for the remastering process, I am trying the:
"knoppix bootfrom=<path_to_iso_image>"
using as iso image: KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso
sh-3.00# pwd
/mnt/sda/knoppix
sh-3.00# ls -l *.iso
-rwxrwxrwx 1 knoppix knoppix 728190976 Oct 17 20:05 KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso
sh-3.00# md5sum *.iso
1188f67d48c9f11afb8572977ef74c5e KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso
and I am getting different types of errors.
I renamed KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso as knoppix.iso to avoid extra typing
Here they are:
// __ when I try going bootfrom=/dev/sda/knoppix.iso
boot: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda/knoppix.iso
. . .
Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
Accessing KNOPPIX DVD at /dev/hdc
Found primary KNOPPIX compressed at /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.
Found additional KNOPPIX compressed at /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX2.
Accessing KNOPPIX DVD at /cdrom2.loop/knoppix.iso... Error: Module cloop is in use
umount: Device or resource busy
insmod: error inserting 'modules/cloop.ko': -1 File exists
// __ when I try going bootfrom=/mnt/sda/knoppix.iso
boot: knoppix bootfrom=/mnt/sda/knoppix.iso
. . .
Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.
Accessing KNOPPIX DVD at /dev/hdc
Found primary KNOPPIX compressed at /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.
Found additional KNOPPIX compressed at /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX2.
mount: you must specify the file system type
/cdrom2.loop/knoppix.iso: No such file or directory
Accessing KNOPPIX DVD failed. /cdrom2.loop/knoppix.iso is not mountable
I am using an external FAT32 firewire drive which is recognized without any problems by knoppix and on Hack 94 of Kyle Rankin's book (knoppix hacks) it says the FAT32 filesystem is compatible with bootfrom.
How can I make the "knoppix bootfrom=" cheat code read remastered iso from an external drive?
That would make my life a lot easier!
Thanks
Albretch

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$594.99
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93
4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"
$24.99
Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981
$199.99
Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art
$225.00
Vintage IBM Syst 370 MST Boards Lot Of 5 Heavily Populated IBM 22 Alu Can Chips
$89.00
MCSI IND-486DX Industrial ISA SBC PC/104 Motherboard NOS Untested No CPU RAM
$189.99
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30