Same here too, and after upgrade the startup time is lot longer, lot of unneeded service auto start.
Hi,
I am a newbie (installed Knoppix/debian on my hdd 2 months ago).
today I ran "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" as a root, and after upgrade I am presented the KDE login manager.
If I try to log in to KDE desktop it starts loading and when it says "initializing peipherals..." it restart KDE login manager.
If I try the IceWM manager or anything else it is okay. What do I have to do to get the KDE desktop working again?
Please help me fix this problem.
Thanks in advance
Same here too, and after upgrade the startup time is lot longer, lot of unneeded service auto start.
Indeed, lots of unneeded services.
If I login into console and launch "startx" I get KDE working, but with modified fonts (bigger ones).
How can I fix this? (I mean getting KDE working from KDE login manager, and runiing with original fonst)
According to my experience, you have wrong owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix directory.Originally Posted by adriang
I'm just wondering this same thing because my remastering installs fine to hd but permissions are overwrited every time after login.
So do this:
I don't do why permissions must be set after every login. If you look at yout ~/.xsession-errors file you get more info of this matter.Code:chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix chown root:root /tmp/.ICE-unix
-tapsa-
See also with dpkg -l|grep KDE that the whole kde upgraded to 3.4.2 . Otherwise try a dist-upgrade to clean it up. All dependencies might not show by grepping just for KDE though.
My KDE is still 3.3.2 (as it shows after dpkg -l | grep KE).
I entered in an console and run the instructions from tr and it worked. I didn't restarted yet to see if changes are kept.
Thank you tr and thank you all who posted on this thread.
If anyone have other solutions to this problem, please post them.
looks like it could be this file /etc/init.d/x11-common
tr,Originally Posted by tr
it looks like the reason you need to do this everytime after login is because the file is deleted/recreated upon reboot. If you reboot, and first do a console login, you'll notice that the directories are not there. Once you login with KDE, and get booted, you can go back and the directory will be there.
A permanent fix? I wish I knew. If I find anything, I'll be sure to post it.
This was also discussed on the kanotix forum. The fix was:
apt-get install x11-common
ln -fs /etc/init.d/x11-common /etc/rcS.d/S70x11-common
and make sure the chown and chmod commands are correct:
#grep ICE_DIR /etc/init.d/x11-common
ICE_DIR=/tmp/.ICE-unix
#log_begin_msg "Setting up ICE socket directory $ICE_DIR..."
echo -n "Setting up ICE socket directory $ICE_DIR..."
if [ -e $ICE_DIR ] && [ ! -d $ICE_DIR ]; then
mv $ICE_DIR $ICE_DIR.$$
mkdir -p $ICE_DIR
chown 0:0 $ICE_DIR
chmod 1777 $ICE_DIR
do_restorecon $ICE_DIR
Thanks Markus, works great now. I didn't realize the Kanotix forum was there. I'll be sure to visit both in the future.

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Cisco SFP-10G-SR Transceiver Module
$25.00
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00
Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50