-
Ok...I reinstalled Debian again this time documenting each and every selection I made in the process.
I used the same CD for Sarge and booted from the CD and installed it on a separate partition. (One partition runs Win XP). It asked me to install GRUB boot loader to the master boot record when it found that the system has an existing operating system (WinXP). It later asked me to configure Exim v4 (exim4-config window) where I chose "no configuration at this time". It asked me the kind of environment I would like to install and I chose "Desktop environment".
Still KDE is not loaded. When I boot and login as root and type "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" I get the following message:
Package 'xserver-xfree86' is not installed and no info is available.
I ran the code "aptitude update" and then "aptitude install kde" which returned (among other things):
"No candidate version found for kde
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packes upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done"
I also tried the code "aptitude show kde". It returns:
"Package: kde
State: not a real package"
So it seems xserver-xfree86 is not installed and I cannot install it. Any suggestion as to what I should do next. Is it because my CD installer doesnt have the xfree86 on it?
I also tried:
1 - edit the file .xsession residing in your home directory:
Code:
nano .xsession
2 - insert the text
Code:
exec startkde
to it, then save the file and exit nano.
3 - Now execute:
Code:
startx
But it returns:
"-bash: startx: command not found"
Similar Threads
-
By dhkkong in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 06:40 AM
-
By Virulent in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
-
By Exit in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-17-2004, 07:26 PM
-
By Sean in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-15-2003, 10:14 AM
-
By burmo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver
$4.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$20.70

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99