Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Cannot access /mnt

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by markleong
    What is interest to note is that I do not face any problems when working with the Knoppix CD - only when using the HD.
    Well, yea, that's frequently seen by reading through the posts made in this forum over the last 3 years, and it's the main reason why many of us suggest that users should install Debian to hard disk. Debian is intended for hard disk install, Knoppix is not and is well known to have problems like this after a hard disk install.

    Have you even tried to install Debian? Is there some reason why you would want to fight with these Knoppix issues rather than just installing a system intended for hard disk? I'm really trying to understand why people insist on "installing" Knoppix rather than Debian (or any other good Linux distro that is intended for hard disk install).

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    68
    Used Knoppix because of hw detection capabilities. Have been using for years now w/o problems. Was using debian before.

    The system have no problems accessing hdb1,2,3,.. Only hdc1,2,3.

    I also booted into my old Redhat8. No problem. Can access all drives.

    Booted to my old Knoppix3.(can remember which version). Again cannot access hdc1,2,3.

    Will try to fix another harddisk as secondary master and check again.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Let's see if this helps:

    o Do the killall automount
    o ' hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc ' == Turn off DMA to that drive

    Then see if you can access hdc. Other than that, I confess I'm stumped here.

    Quote Originally Posted by markleong
    What is interest to note is that I do not face any problems when working with the Knoppix CD - only when using the HD.

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    68
    Thks Dave. Will give your suggestion a go and see if it works. Does that mean from the CD, DMA is off?

    Don't know if this matters but my hds are connected as follows:-

    hda1(Hitachi DeskStar 80GB) - Windows 98 partitioned using the new FDisk as old one does not support more than 60GB
    hda2 - Knoppix 4
    hdb1,2,3,4,5 (IBM Deststar 40GB) - various Linux (Redhat, Knoppix3...)
    hdc1 (Seagate 20GB) - Win VFAT32 (LBA) for data storage
    hdc3 - ext3 for data storage

    I think it has to do with the Seagate drive.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    I install Knoppix to HD every so often on different boxes, and don't have these kinds of issues. In fact, pretty much all of my Linux installs are Knoppix-based. I've only done 1 Debian install, and that was for a dedicated Squid server that didn't need GUI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by markleong
    What is interest to note is that I do not face any problems when working with the Knoppix CD - only when using the HD.
    Well, yea, that's frequently seen by reading through the posts made in this forum over the last 3 years, and it's the main reason why many of us suggest that users should install Debian to hard disk. Debian is intended for hard disk install, Knoppix is not and is well known to have problems like this after a hard disk install.

    Have you even tried to install Debian? Is there some reason why you would want to fight with these Knoppix issues rather than just installing a system intended for hard disk? I'm really trying to understand why people insist on "installing" Knoppix rather than Debian (or any other good Linux distro that is intended for hard disk install).

  6. #16
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    I install Knoppix to HD every so often on different boxes, and don't have these kinds of issues. In fact, pretty much all of my Linux installs are Knoppix-based. I've only done 1 Debian install, and that was for a dedicated Squid server that didn't need GUI.
    That's interesting Dave. It's not represenative of what I usually see in this forum. Could you please give us a little more information: Do you install additional programs and/or update existing programs after such an install (and if so does this not cause problems)? Does the network connection work after the install, without doing extra steps not in the scripts like changing file permissions? Do you have any insight on why an install seems to work well for you when so many others run into these types of problems?

  7. #17
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    68
    I have also installed Knoppix many times (nearly 10 times) and have not encountered problems like this. I strongly suspect its the Seagate hd.

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    o Do you install additional programs and/or update existing programs after such an install (and if so does this not cause problems)?
    --Yes; I have a set of scripts that removes unneeded packages and installs additional stuff. I always do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (almost NEVER dist-upgrade.) I have a custom /etc/apt/sources.list and almost always recompile to a stock Linus kernel.

    o Does the network connection work after the install, without doing extra steps not in the scripts like changing file permissions?
    --Yes. But I don't use wireless, and connect to Internet thru a central Squid box.

    o Do you have any insight on why an install seems to work well for you when so many others run into these types of problems?
    --I've been using various flavors of Linux since ~1997; Red Hat, Suse, Knoppix. I refuse to use Red Hat anymore since they came out with a distro that couldn't even compile a Linus kernel a few years ago. Suse is the next best, but for me nothing beats Debian these days.

    --Honestly, if people are having these kinds of problems on hd-install then I would contact Klaus Knopper and the maintainer of the hd-install script.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    I install Knoppix to HD every so often on different boxes, and don't have these kinds of issues. In fact, pretty much all of my Linux installs are Knoppix-based. I've only done 1 Debian install, and that was for a dedicated Squid server that didn't need GUI.
    That's interesting Dave. It's not represenative of what I usually see in this forum. Could you please give us a little more information: Do you install additional programs and/or update existing programs after such an install (and if so does this not cause problems)? Does the network connection work after the install, without doing extra steps not in the scripts like changing file permissions? Do you have any insight on why an install seems to work well for you when so many others run into these types of problems?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Can't access my HD
    By Fortier in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 11:53 PM
  2. C++ and web access
    By outsider in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 08:54 PM
  3. need access to HD
    By senorian in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 11:04 PM
  4. DVD + FDD can't Access.
    By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 08:39 PM
  5. HD access possible?
    By cehjohnson in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5315Y 8 CORE PROCESSOR 3.2 GHZ SRKXR

$1100.00