This ASUS P4B533 motherboard has a C-Media 8738 sound chip. The asus ftp site (ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/misc/audio) has a file called cmlinux.zip that hopefully allows the s-pdif functions (etc) to work. The make instructions in that file's readme do not jive at all with the directory structure I found on my system . For example, the readme says: "Backup the Config.in (sic) and Makefile in the sound driver directory(/usr/src/linux/driver/sound)"
But, nothing is there. There is no 'driver' directory.
However, it seems that what I want may be here: /usr/share/alsa/cards/CMI8738-MC6.conf
Being some what new to Linux*1, I really don't have a clear plan for compiling this correctly. And I *really* don't want to blow anything up. Has anyone any experince with this particular sound card and Knoppix/Debian?
P.S.: dmesg shows:
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 02:03.0
cmpci: found CM8738 adapter at io 0xa800 irq 9
cmpci: chip version = 055
cmpci: Enable SPDIF loop
Well OK! But, shouldn't it work?
tia,
some putz
*1 - but not to C, I started writing little C progs 15 years ago. Unfortunately, writing in C was something I didn't need for work, so I left it behind for a while, you might say.

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001
$14.90
Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$33.94
Trenz Electronic SFP to SMA Adapter Board PCB Module
$105.00
Lot of 2 For Cisco SFP-10G-X Transceiver, 10Gb SFP+ RJ45 10GBase-T 30m
$73.99